What street legal (in NJ) bike for a new rider?

Hey, uh, I didn't see any introduction thread anywhere, so I guess this is as good a place as any to take care of that.

I bought myself a CL450 from my dad's friend to learn on, and the guy swore up and down it would run with minimal work so I was psyched.

Here I am 6 months later after carb rebuilds, new coils, new condenser, new battery, new spark plugs, new rear blinkers, new points, new wiring, tons of new gaskets, new lines (fuel + controls), new air filters, a POR-15'd tank, a ton of wrenching hours, etc., and not much quality riding time under my belt.

The gear was purchased over the winter, the MSF was completed in April, and I've been putting around on a friend's Rebel 250 whenever I'm in NJ.

I'm not crazy about sports bikes, and cruisers don't really do it for me. I'm kinda feeling like the spiritual successor to my CL450 (which I WILL get to run one day) is something in the enduro/supermoto/adventure bike vein, so here I am.

I'm 24 years old, 5'9"ish with a 32" inseam, and weigh ~130lbs. I would love to do adventure riding, but the kind of riding I'm most likely going to end up doing is some city commuting, some slab riding (the friend with the Rebel and another with an R6 like to just cruise around - sometimes for upwards of 2 hours at a time), and some light dirt/trail riding (my brother has a CRF80 that I'd like to try to follow around at some NJ spots).

My budget is going to be about $3,500 cash by the end of the month (fingers crossed), and I'm totally not averse to buying an older machine as long as it will be reliable (although I have gotten moderately comfortable tearing my CL450 apart). I specifically mention that because I know of the newer bikes that will probably come up - though I don't want to bias the advice in any given direction - but I'm not too in the know when it comes to older machines.

Oh, and keep in mind, I'm in NJ, and they're terrible about plating anything that seems like it might be a dirtbike in disguise. Thats another hoop to jump through I guess.

Anyway, thanks for reading, thanks for everything I've already learned from the forums, and apologies for starting another generic 'what should I buy' thread! Flame on!

Edited by MyAcademy

FIVE, thanks for the input.

The WR205X is definitely on my shortlist because of all the cool technology and its manageable size.

The one serious concern I have with it is its longevity if I'm doing some longer stints on NJ highways.

Would it cruise at ~75MPH for an hour or so at a time? Would it be harmful to keep the bike pegged at 10kRPMs for that long?

If not, then I'll be leaning heavily towards the WR250X... otherwise I guess I'm still on the hunt.

FIVE, thanks for the input.

The WR205X is definitely on my shortlist because of all the cool technology and its manageable size.

The one serious concern I have with it is its longevity if I'm doing some longer stints on NJ highways.

Would it cruise at ~75MPH for an hour or so at a time? Would it be harmful to keep the bike pegged at 10kRPMs for that long?

If not, then I'll be leaning heavily towards the WR250X... otherwise I guess I'm still on the hunt.

Eh...that kind of riding would reek havoc on the motor. If your going to be dong long stints on the highway I'd go with the drz, My old one had stock sprockets and stage 2 cams big gun exhaust and cruised at 75 on the highway. I ended up selling that bike with 10k without a rebuild.

Mike and Five, yeah dudes, a DRZ400SM was definitely a frontrunner when I was doing my initial research. Its about as small a bike as I can find that'll cruise at highway speeds while still having the ability to do some trail riding.