Dual sport as a primary transportation?

Anyone use their Dual Sport as a primary mode of transportation?

Im planning on getting one and using it as a daily driver and toy on the weekends and after work. I dont see the need to pay a car payment when I can accomplish everything on a dual sport, and have some fun at the same time. All stores, shops and anything else I can think of are within 5 miles of my house.

Due to the amount of road miles compared to off road miles i would prefer a more dirt oriented ride like a KTM 450-530.

Just looking to see if anyone had any tip or suggestions, on what to think about or prepare for?

situation

-1 mile commute to work

-I work for a shop, gear (cold/hot weather) and parts are not much of a concern as I get them for cost.

-Wife will have a vehicle (truck)

-have the option to work from home if necessary

-no kids

-road miles can be accomplished on smaller back roads (under 45mph)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone use their Dual Sport as a primary mode of transportation?

For almost two years now. The only problem I have had is replacing the swingarm and linkage bearings that were destroyed by all the salt they dump on the roads here in the winter. And of course having to ride around town in single-digit temperatures...

i would get a scooter, like a yamaha zuma

I would like to keep some dignity.

Thanks for the input on road salt. I hadnt given that much thought. Living in Delaware we get bad winters once every 5-10 years.

I have many times ridden my MTB to work it takes about 6 minutes on the route I take. But I would like to have something that I can extend my range without alloting an exta 15 min each way on a mountain bike if I wanted to go further than than the one mile to work.

As of now the positives of the dual sport far outweigh the negatives. I think its a no brainer.

I had a car but sold it because I rarely drove it and. Virtually all of my in town commuting is done on a bicycle or on foot, followed by motorcycle for anything over ten miles.

Go for it.

I suggest a snowmobile helmet and good rain and cold weather gear. Every winter I suffer the cold and every time I say I will get some better riding gear, I haven't. Its not funny when I can't feel my fingers and need to get my pants undone to take a whiz. Prepare or you'll end up doing a whiz dance too.

Well, there hasn't been too many negatives that have come up besides the weather and douche bags in cars (and a random zuma comment) so..........

The KX450 is on craigslist.. I might get this party started a little earlier if I can get it sold.

Googles, if this goes down, im going to specifically come out to western PA/Cleveland for a ride.

the only time I don't ride mine is when something breaks or I have to transport a lot of things

After a few years you will begin to dislike driving cages altogether or at least i hate driving my truck

What kind of truck do you have? I have a tuned truck that hauls ass! It's definitely not boring. Look into getting a custom tune, better exhaust and some other mods and you won't hate your truck anymore.?

But I don't have a dual sport. I will be getting one soon, though and when I do, I would LOVE to have it as my primary form of transportation.?

My primary transport is my street bike. My KTM 400 is not fun on the highway. It's great for running up and down the streets though. If you think you might need to hit the highway I would definitely recommend something like a KTM 690 enduro or an XR650 instead of a 400-530 cc bike.

That said, I just got back from a trip where I rode my 400 up to LA and back from San Diego. 8-o

GO FOR IT!!!

I went with a DRZ400 for reliability, low maintenence, and smooooth motor for the road. Ya I loose some in the woods compared to the KTM's and 450's, but I ride mine like you describe (90% work commute 10% weekend woods bike). My bike wears SM trim throughout the week and has a complete set of off road knobbies and rims for the dirt. It would only take me 20-30 minutes if it was just wheel swap, but I went with a bigger rear sprocket that requires changing up the chain every time too.

As for cold weather, hand guards or electric grip warmers will fix the numb finger thing. If you ride with an MX helmet you can pick up a "breath box" that will velcro in and keep your nose, mouth, and chin warm, just look at snowmobile sites.

Good luck!!

Ive narrowed it down to the KTM450 or the 530. I want more of a dirt bike than a street bike. I get discounts on gear so I have been looking at the Icon variant helmet as well as the Arai XD3. Both seem to be pretty cool dual sport helmets.

I'll most likely get a good 3/4 jacket that has zip out liners, zipper vents as well as being waterproof.

Hand guards, I already own. as well as I have access to heated gear and grips.

I appreceiate all of the tips, suggestions and encouragment.

(Except for the Zuma comment!)