250, 450 or 500?

Hi I'm looking at buying a used dirt bike to ride for fun in the field and the woods.

I currently own two other Honda's and they've never let me down, so id figured i might as well get another Honda. Tough I'm still open to other makes

So far I've been looking at cr250's crf450's and cr500's.

Its basically its the whole 2 stroke vs 4 stroke debate ­čśĆ

The 250's and 450's i can find plenty of.

The 500 2 strokes are kinda rare here in Norway. But about the same price

How much maintenance do each of these require?

Any usual flaws or things i should look out for?

And what bike would YOU get if you was in my situation?

It usually the other way around actually.

The last cr500 i saw went for $2,400.And that was a some crazy motard with huge brakes

A 2004 yz 250 is about $2,800

But how often would i need to replace the piston in a 250? Riding as said above.

A CR 500 would be a formidable opponent in the woods. It pretty much rides like a 4 stroke. You can chug it along anywhere, then when you need it, you can let it loose and rip it up. The 500 would take less maintenance, and since it doesn't use as high as rpm's to produce its power like its smaller brothers, CR 125/250, piston wear won't happen as fast. Just keep the air filter clean and the tranny oil fresh, and you shouldn't have any problems.

A lot of guys here in the states use 500's in the woods with no problems, plus you can't beat the fun factor of the 500!

Yeah i really do want a 500 but they are hard to come by sadly.

But if i cant find a 500. Should i get a 250 or a 450?

I can change a piston on a 2 stroke. But the 4strokes looks so complicated to work on. And then id have to do valve adjustments too

Yeah i really do want a 500 but they are hard to come by sadly.

But if i cant find a 500. Should i get a 250 or a 450?

I can change a piston on a 2 stroke. But the 4strokes looks so complicated to work on. And then id have to do valve adjustments too

Then go with the 250, besides the 500 its the most fun you can have on two wheels IMO..

I find the 250 2t to be the perfect all-around bike for me. I'd love another 500, but not for my only bike. I'm faster on a 250 in most areas I ride, in the woods I can't usually use all of a 250's power.

The 4t vs 2t is a personal choice, no right or wrong. I'm not interested in 4t for offroad, but plenty of guys love 'em. I wouldn't mind dual sporting an XR650R though!