Skid Plate and Odd Sounds

Just began to do the first oil change on my WR and noticed a huge pack of mud was wedged between the skid plate and the engine. I know they sell aftermarket aluminum skid plates with holes and such but I was curious if anyone has experimented with drilling or cutting holes in the stock plate? It would help cleaning greatly but not sure if the holes would reduce the structural functionality of the plastic plate.

On a side note, when I was warming the engine up, I noticed a high pitched rattling sound near the AIS/camshafts. I've noticed this since I re-jetted my carb a few days ago, but have ridden it since with no issues at all. I know I didn't get any dirt or debris in the carb during the re-jet but am concerned that something is rubbing wrong or not properly lubricated in the engine. Any ideas short of tearing it apart or taking it into the mechanic?

This is the 2009 WR-250F, correct? ­čśĆ

It's only three bolts holding the skid plate on.

Very easy to remove it while you're washing the bike immediately after getting home from a romp through the swamps.

I wouldn't drill holes in it.

This is the 2009 WR-250F, correct? ­čśĆ

It's only three bolts holding the skid plate on.

Very easy to remove it while you're washing the bike immediately after getting home from a romp through the swamps.

I wouldn't drill holes in it.

Haha, true this is my 09 WR250F. Obviously plan B was to simply take off the plate to wash it, but drilling holes in stuff is waaay cooler. ­čśĆ

Tell the truth that was really more of a side question to my main concern of the odd engine noise. Cosmetic vs mechanical, ya know?

EDIT: I may have found an option on what the noise is. I believe potentially my jetting is too lean. Between the noise and my idle hanging high when I rev it,I think changing out some jets may fix it. Though I do not have a larger pilot jet so I guess I'll have to buy one. Stock is a 40 if I'm not mistaken, yes?