How did this happen?

Just curious as to how this could happen. I realize that the sprocket and chain are due for replacement but I thought I could get a couple more rides out of it. This happened during a hare scramble right at the top of a rather large hill. Good thing because ten feet earlier and I would have been coasting down backwards!!

The chain broke at the master link as well. I'm not sure which broke first but I do remember hearing a very definite crunch and thinking I tore up my transmission. A track worker grabbed the chain and said it was very hot which we both thought was kind of odd. The chain was adjusted properly and if anything had to much slack.

Any thoughts as to how the sprocket could have broken like this?

1279076257-209.jpg

I guess that what trying to save a buck will get ya ๐Ÿ˜ I've seen teeth break before but never had a sprocket split like this.

I'm still curious as to why the chain would be hot? Looks like it was rubbing against the case, maybe a rock jammed in there.

Wow that sprocket is toast look how worn the teeth are..would have definitely replaced that before the scramble..๐Ÿ˜

Totaly agree with Aido ๐Ÿ˜ By the look of the sprocket I am sure the chain is streched and that is what will cause it to get hot. ie the teeth no longer fit the sprockets the way they should and as the teeth engage / disengage the chain this will cause heat.

Pay me now or pay me later. Lucky it wasn't the case. :cheers::bonk::ride:

Well I changed out the chain and sprockets this weekend. The chain was way past it's time. Compared it with the new chain. The new chain had almost no movement the old chain was almost an entire link off! ๐Ÿ˜:busted:

Looks like I will be checking that more often.