Carb issue

well for a few month now my carb will overflow gas from the float bowl after I shut the bike off for more then 10seconds.

I've taken the carb apart and cleaned it put it back together it didn't leak for about 1 ride and then it started leaking again.

I went for a ride today and it was leaking worse than ever. went home and took the carb apart and thoroughly cleaned every part that deals with the float(its the float over flow that the gas is leaking from.)

the needle looks fine, and moves smooth, everything looks spotless.

I didn't want to have to deal with this problem again so I bent the part of the float that touches the needle up so the float needle seats sooner, put the carb together, turned on the gas and waited. the carb filled and then of course it started peeing gas at the same rate as before.

I haven't ridden it after this adjustment to the float level but I'm guessing that I'll still have this issue.

does anybody have any tips to get it to stop leaking?otherwise I'm just going to ride like this and turn off the gas every time I stop for more than 10sec, because the bike runs great even like this.

4782164952_75181886dc_z.jpg

Well - Obviously the gas is still flowing past the float needle. I assume you've set the float height? If not - do so. Just guessing and bending the tab really doesn't work.

One thing to do to help diagnose the problem is to pull off the float bowl, leave the gas line connected, turn on the gas and watch it flow through the carb. Manually push the floats up and see if it stops the flow. You could have a bad float needle or seat - or something stuck in the seat and not letting it seal. It shouldn't take much pressure to seal off ths gas flow.

Well - Obviously the gas is still flowing past the float needle. I assume you've set the float height? If not - do so. Just guessing and bending the tab really doesn't work.

One thing to do to help diagnose the problem is to pull off the float bowl, leave the gas line connected, turn on the gas and watch it flow through the carb. Manually push the floats up and see if it stops the flow. You could have a bad float needle or seat - or something stuck in the seat and not letting it seal. It shouldn't take much pressure to seal off ths gas flow.

I wasn't guessing when I bent the tab, I haven't ridden the bike and I'm just guessing that it will still leak after 1 ride. I had the carb in pieces and carefully inspected the needle and and there is no dirt stopping it from sealing, and the rubber tip on the needle looks great. with my hand I can get the needle to seal just fine.

Could you please explain how to set the float level. I always figured bending the tab that pushes on the float needle was how you set the level.

I will try to set the float level again tomorrow and any tips would be nice.­čśĆ

You may need to replace that o-ring that goes around the float needle housing.

will do, but its almost $30 for the float needle part #11 which includes the gasket and its another $7 for shipping:(

YA6674_12.gif

anyone have an extra gasket?

I would just take the o-ring off and go and try to find one of that size. Or you could order it from your local M/C shop and get free shipping. By the way yamahapartsdepot .com has the best prices online.

EDIT: Yeah it's only $22 at that site. But you have to pay shipping. So you're probably better off just ordering from your dealer and getting it in like 2 days.

I had that problem and took it apart three times and still had the problem. I finally busted out the old "tap on the side of the carb" trick and fixed it and haven't had a problem since. For whatever reason the needle/spring must of been getting stuck and once it seated it was good to go. Doesn't mean yours doesn't need to be replaced but it's free to tap on the carb with a crescent wrench ­čśĆ

I had that problem and took it apart three times and still had the problem. I finally busted out the old "tap on the side of the carb" trick and fixed it and haven't had a problem since. For whatever reason the needle/spring must of been getting stuck and once it seated it was good to go. Doesn't mean yours doesn't need to be replaced but it's free to tap on the carb with a crescent wrench ­čśĆ

Same exact thing with my 05. Started pissing gas Sunday morning, gave it a couple of shots in the bowl with the plastic handle of a large screwdriver. Good to go all day!