First 4 stroke purchase, need some opinions

Hey guys, new to the forum this is my first post. I come from roadracing and had a major injury to my left hand thats preventing me from continuing to roadrace this season, so I'm going to be doing MX for the rest of this year to keep up my fitness and maybe get back to roadracing next season. MX is a hell of a lot cheaper and its just as fun.

I have a 2001 KX125, which is a good beginner bike and I'm for sure going to keep it as a backup, but I'm anxious to get into a 4 stroke. Its hard for me to use the clutch due to my hand and you've always gotta keep that 2 stroke at a boil. I'm so use to using the clutch coming out of corners, I get drained super quick and can't even do a fast lap! I'm hoping with a 4 stroke, it will be a bit better.

I rode a 2006 YZF250 on the trails recently and really dug the power band. I've had some previous 4 stroke experience with a CRF250 but that was long ago and I hardly remember it. The Yamaha seems like a nice bike, but from reading reviews of the time period, it seems like the honda always seems to win, even with its unstable front end my roommate always use to complain about.

I recently stumbled upon a few very nice 2008-2009 RMZ250's some ex-race bikes, some just practice bikes for $2600 - $3000 bux. I'm a pretty good mechanic, I'd just re-build anything I got, no problem. I read the 08 suzuki is one of the better bikes out their.

I'd just like to know some of your guys thoughts before I go and spend money I don't have. As much as I love the simplicity of a 2 stroke, its just become a bear to ride and I must continue riding or I'll just gain 50lb's and become an alcoholic! LOL ­čśĆ

thanks!

I have only ever ridden 2 strokes, so I can't attest to how much clutching the guys on 4 strokes do or don't do. But, either way, you might want to consider getting a rekluse auto clutch. I have heard of some guys using them for MX, and I think with your injury and hand issues, this may be an option to consider, no matter what bike you decide to go with. Not sure if they make them for 125's or not though, haven't checked that.

I don't fully undertand how you can't road race but can do MX but anyway.....I have only owned 4ts and both are YZ450s. I rarely use the clutch for anything on an mx track (woods is a different story) but upshifting. I never use it on turns or down shifting. Now im far from an expert but thats my 2 cents.

don't forget about KTMs and hydraulic clutch, never felt one but Im sure its an easy pull.

I don't fully undertand how you can't road race but can do MX

Thats a good question;

You've gotta man handle a bike that weighs 520lb's (with rider attached) and the clutch is a very critical element to get perfect. If you go into a corner super hot and mis a down shift, you go grass-tracking. On an MX bike, if you for whatever reason can't use the clutch to downshift, you can always just use the ol' wick of the throttle and tap it down a gear clutchless. Yea, probably not a wise idea, but if you don't do it a lot, it a great safety net. Sadly, the safety net on the bikes I race at the speeds I'm going is very minimal, which is all the more reason to take some time off.

but anyway.....I have only owned 4ts and both are YZ450s. I rarely use the clutch for anything on an mx track (woods is a different story) but upshifting. I never use it on turns or down shifting. Now im far from an expert but thats my 2 cents.

don't forget about KTMs and hydraulic clutch, never felt one but Im sure its an easy pull.

Yea, 450's are real luggers I'm told. The hydraulic KTM clutch is pretty stiff actually, I was shocked. Though I'm sure the engagement is flawless like my roadracing bikes.

Thanks for the input guys.

Thats a good question;

You've gotta man handle a bike that weighs 520lb's (with rider attached) and the clutch is a very critical element to get perfect. If you go into a corner super hot and mis a down shift, you go grass-tracking. On an MX bike, if you for whatever reason can't use the clutch to downshift, you can always just use the ol' wick of the throttle and tap it down a gear clutchless. Yea, probably not a wise idea, but if you don't do it a lot, it a great safety net. Sadly, the safety net on the bikes I race at the speeds I'm going is very minimal, which is all the more reason to take some time off.

Well not that i have done it but i've seen some grass-tracking and to be honest with you it doesn't look real fun so I see where you're coming from.

Ok, so if I go 4 stroke, lets say I got $3k to spend, is the 07 Honda or Yamaha the best bikes to get for that price range? I'm not a fan of the Honda single cam design, but the reviewers consider it the best bike on the market STILL.

I've been offered an amazing deal on a 2008 RMZ250 with pipe and header ($2800), but from all I read, they have major transmission issues.

Lemme know what you guys think. I can't afford any more then 3k.

Ok, so if I go 4 stroke, lets say I got $3k to spend, is the 07 Honda or Yamaha the best bikes to get for that price range? I'm not a fan of the Honda single cam design, but the reviewers consider it the best bike on the market STILL.

I've been offered an amazing deal on a 2008 RMZ250 with pipe and header ($2800), but from all I read, they have major transmission issues.

Lemme know what you guys think. I can't afford any more then 3k.

Hi I've had honda and after every ride the shims needed replacing and after two it needed a whole top end rebuild.

most people dont clutch downshifting and some dont on the upshift, mx trannys are made for that kind of shifting. i have a '06 yz250f and love it btw. a yz250/450f would do you good depending on what kind of riding skills you have. good luck

I had a 2008 rmz 250 and i have a 2009 kx250f Iam iam selling kx cause iam buying crf450. everyon i was happy with. id recomend all three kx was fav 250f though