Just bought a 2003 DRZ400S

Just bought a very nice and clean 2003 DRZ400S with 3k miles on it.

Anything I should know about it? How reliable are they? What is the mpg?

It is all stock beside FMF powerbomb and Q core pipe and has been rejetted.

It has only rear blinkers, do you need front ones to be street legal in california?

it would be in your best interest to research the ' loctite fixes '

fit the MCCT ... change the oil , oil filter , oil screen located at the base of the frame downtube .

inspect the valve clearance and do the free power mod .

when you complete all of the above you can be assured of rock solid reliability

should keep you busy for a while .. aye

Wander is a relative term.

And, 1" is pretty bad, no.....very bad. Tires may also be an issue.

But, if it's wandering enough to cause concern it may be a good idea to give the bike a very thorough going-over before you ride it again?? Check tightness and squareness of all parts related to the running gear.

Get a manual, too!!

Its not wandering that bad, you can just feel it when riding it. The rim is moving side to side very noticable.

So this is probably what is causing the bike to wander slightly?

I think you need to find that problem. May or may not be the wheel wobble. Takes a big hit to put a 1" warp in a wheel, there may be additional damage. Good to know that you're taking it seriously and having the wheel trued. That may turn out to be the entire issue, but I'd sure suggest you check the whole rear end over while the wheel is off: Bearings in swingarm, shock attach points, shock linkage, tire condition, tire pressure, basically everything you can get to.

There is enough risk in riding without having equipment issues, too!

Let us know if the wheel wobble is fixed with the truing of the wheel

Edited by shuswap1

I got the wheel trued and the wheel was not off by that much. Now that I look at it, its the tire that is wobbling not the rim.

I just popped a tube so im buying a new tube and tire to see if that fixes the problem.

My drz shakes at low speeds and its quite noticable.

What tyres are you running?...Knobby tyres can cause this low speed shaking on the bitumen ..

Check you stearing head bearings.... Lift the front wheel and check for any notchiness when turning the bars.,then hold the bottom of your fork legs and check for front to rear freeplay. Get a friend to steady the bike while you do these checks...

Lift the rear end off the ground and check for sideways freeplay , before you pull anything apart....

Also do a string line test to check the alignment of your wheels....

And +1 on chooken's advice..­čśĆ