06 ktm 450 exc fork preload spacers?

Does anyone know what size pre-load spacers I should use on 06 wp forks, exc 450, stock springs, 170-180 lbs rider. Are there online charts? The manual doesnt specify. I hate to trial and error having to take apart both forks and try different size spacers. I have almost no sag and the forks are beating my arms to hell.

Thanks

Fork pre-loading is basically trial and error. If there is little or no sag, it's a fairly simple job to remove some of the factory teflon pre-load spacers from each fork.

You might also try backing the compression damping adjustor all the way out counterclockwise to its minimum setting and try it out, then increase damping as needed to control bottoming.

Another suggestion is to try a lighter weight fork oil and a 140 - 145 mm air height with springs removed with completely bottomed out forks.

Does anyone know what size pre-load spacers I should use on 06 wp forks, exc 450, stock springs, 170-180 lbs rider.

as already has been said, there's no definit answer for you.

and you didn't provide any info about the terrain and your riding skills.

The spring sould be 505mm long and you should have 18mm as spacers (assuming your fork still has standard internals).

You can try to reduce the spacer to 10mm - just make sure, the spring still has a preload (5mm should be fine).

Sounds weired but those spacers aren't just for preloading the spring but for adjusting different spring lengths as well.

you might lower the oil height as well (as had been said) but best success would be a revalve (using a bleeder at the mid).

The standard setup isn't very successful.

All great tips. Ill try removing some oil (at 125mm right now) reducing the spacers (much more than 18mm as memory serves correct) clicking out the comp ,and next time Im in the western world getting a re-valve.

as for bound up r/s shock its one thing I always check when reinstalling the wheel but maybe my technique isnt great. I spin the wheel and lock the front break. Any better ideas on insuring alignment.

Also I cant find fork oil where I live so I use ATF like everyone else in this country. Not Ideal I know but no other options as far as I can tell.

as for bound up r/s shock its one thing I always check when reinstalling the wheel but maybe my technique isnt great. I spin the wheel and lock the front break. Any better ideas on insuring alignment.

Here is how I do it.......

1.Install both forks and set fork height using calipers or a ruler. It is important that fork height be exactly the same for both sides. Tighten pinch bolts to the proper specs (Top: 18 Ft-Lbs | Lower: 15 Ft-Lbs).

2.Before installing axle make sure the end of it (and the edge of axle hole) has not been "mushroomed" from hitting it with a metal hammer. If theres any lip it must be ground off or fork will bind.

3.Install the axle (use rubber or plastic hammer only) and tighten the axle nut to proper spec. If the axle turns while tightening, tighten one right side axle pinch bolt to hold axle in place.

4.Tighten both left side axle pinch bolts to spec.

5.With the left side axle pinch bolts and axle nut tightened, loosen the right side axle pinch bolts. Take a small flat head screwdriver and carefully tap it into the slot between the two right side axle pinch bolts. This will enlarge the axle hole. You will then be able to grab the bottom of the right side fork tube and push it in and pull it out freely. You will be able to see the fork settle naturally into position on the axle without binding.

6.Remove the screwdriver and tighten the right side axle pinch bolts to spec.

If you're wondering if your forks are currently bound up, put your bike on a stand and start this procedure at Step 5.

doc

Thanks doc.

I have used this method before but never checked fork height. do I adjust fork height by raising or lowering the fork in the triple clamp and using a straight edge along the bottom of the wheel mounts?

Im usually reinstalling the front wheel in the bush after fixing flats and forget or are too lazy to recheck at home.

Also I cant find fork oil where I live so I use ATF like everyone else in this country. Not Ideal I know but no other options as far as I can tell.

If you use ATF, be prepared for a stiff ride as ATF is considerably thicker than most lighter weight fork oils. If you do use ATF, it might help to reduce both compression and rebound damping settings.

If you use ATF, be prepared for a stiff ride as ATF is considerably thicker than most lighter weight fork oils. If you do use ATF, it might help to reduce both compression and rebound damping settings.

Thanks Chas

Im doing a full bike overhaul now and Im going to get some real fork oil even if I have to go to Saigon myself and get it.