CRF230f battery problems

I have a 2003 crf230f that my husband has done some carb work on and it now runs great when you can get it started. The battery wont hold a charge. We just replaced the battery and took it to Durham town in GA and had to bump start it every time and we ran it for a long time in between. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it?

DeAnna

She's still got the key ignition on it. (Gatorglf is my wife -- I'm the husband that she mentioned!). The battery was purchased, fully charged and installed in Feb. The bike started and ran fine, about 3-4 times. It seems like it just won't hold a charge for some reason. We can bumpstart and run for miles; shut it off and try the button? Won't even turn over.

This bike never had starting issues before, other than the extended warmup necessary w/ stock jetting. I did the power-up jets in Feb right before the new battery. The old battery, we figure finally gave up because of the stock jet starting procedure and long periods of no riding.

So I don't know if we've got a short somewhere, or what. I hope we won't have to go and get another battery just to see if our current battery is no good. I know the bike shop won't cut me any slack on a replacement since it was purchased back in the spring.

If the battery was EVER charged (at the dealer b/4 he handed it to you) with a high rate charger it may have a bad cell. These batteries are really easy to overheat when charging.

Your bike will NEVER recharge the battery if it is a bit low. Take the battery and have a load test done on it. If it is a little off then no luck with it working in your bike.

Only use a Battery Tender type charger on it.

• 9 months later...

i have the same problem but with the stock battery, i know it needs replaced and I'm aware of that. but my battery is so low that when i hit the button a strange buzz comes from the battery box. i seeked it out and found that if you follow your positive cable to the right there are your 75 amp fuses. they're on this round metal thing that looks like a motor. when i hooked up the battery and pressed the button the little motor buzzed. so if you have a strange buzz its probably that little motor. tell me if anyone else has seen this little thing because if that's all it does its not worth its weight.

i have the same problem but with the stock battery, i know it needs replaced and I'm aware of that. but my battery is so low that when i hit the button a strange buzz comes from the battery box. i seeked it out and found that if you follow your positive cable to the right there are your 75 amp fuses. they're on this round metal thing that looks like a motor. when i hooked up the battery and pressed the button the little motor buzzed. so if you have a strange buzz its probably that little motor. tell me if anyone else has seen this little thing because if that's all it does its not worth its weight.

I believe this is what you're talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starter_solenoid

That "little motor" is called the starter.. That motor turns the actual engine over to start it. And yes, that is where it is coming from. When a battery is too low on charge you will here the starter make that clacky buzz as it does not have enough power to crank the engine.

As for the OP's question. I am really not sure, you obviously either have a faulty battery or you have a power drain somewhere.

GL

That "little motor" is called the starter.. That motor turns the actual engine over to start it. And yes, that is where it is coming from. When a battery is too low on charge you will here the starter make that clacky buzz as it does not have enough power to crank the engine.

As for the OP's question. I am really not sure, you obviously either have a faulty battery or you have a power drain somewhere.

GL

I think you misunderstood the OP there Jay?

He seems to be describing the solenoid as gabechroust mentioned

IMO the battery needs testing, classic sign of a fried battery:busted:

lol. I know Ian. I still think it is a faulty battery though, perhaps even a loose + or - terminal connection.

Try hooking up a battery charger directly to the positive and negative on the bike and see if it will turn over before buying a new battery just to make sure. It is possible the solenoid is shot, but if that we're the case I don't think the starter would be making any noises? the buzz sound=dead battery, which was my case anyways when I got my 230 before buying a new battery for it "mine made that buzz as well, but nothing was wrong with my starter or the solenoid".

lol. I know Ian. I still think it is a faulty battery though, perhaps even a loose + or - terminal connection.

I'm in agreement Jay, deffo a dull battery

In fact since i posted earlier i've been in the garage trying to find why my (new to me) 250x won't turn over properly on the button. I've been tidying the bike for a couple of weeks and had the battery on my 'tender' and showing a good voltage when put back together. Took the battery off earlier and put the meter across, its showing 11.97 volts which i thought was OK'ish but just to eliminate it i took off the crf230 battery (same size) and that only showed 12.67 volts:banghead:

Bolted it onto the 250x and bingo!! fired straight up:banana:

So with only 0.7 volts difference it was just so much stronger in the CCA dept

As a check i fitted the 11.97 battery to the 230f and guess what i got?

a buzzing noise from the solenoid:bonk:­čĹŹ:bonk:

Charge or change the battery OP:thumbsup:

Try disconnecting the battery positive, with everything turned off, lights and ignition, touch the battery positive lead to the positive terminal, if you get the smallest spark you have a short somewhere.

If you have a voltmeter you can put this in the line and see if you have any current running

If you get a spark or a reading its then down to tracing wires to find out where the short is, not a big problem on a 230 as its not got that much of a wiring harness

Check however that the contacts on the solenoid are clean and dry, as you can get current leakage through wet gunge

Took the battery off earlier and put the meter across, its showing 11.97 volts which i thought was OK'ish but just to eliminate it i took off the crf230 battery (same size) and that only showed 12.67 volts:banghead:

Bolted it onto the 250x and bingo!! fired straight up:banana:

So with only 0.7 volts difference it was just so much stronger in the CCA dept

As a check i fitted the 11.97 battery to the 230f and guess what i got?

BTW. A 12v battery at 12.67 volts is 100% charged. A 12v battery at 11.97% is less than 50% charged and is essentially dead.

BTW. A 12v battery at 12.67 volts is 100% charged. A 12v battery at 11.97% is less than 50% charged and is essentially dead.

You may be correct but then how do you explain that when its been on the optimate 4 it reads 13.12v on the meter?

are you saying i've found the holy grail and managed to get 3.5% more than is actually possible?

13.12 divided by 12.67 = 1.03551697 (103.5%)

In my experience a 12v battery usually show around 13.7 volts when fully charged:ride:

Aren't you the one that said your battery at 11.97vdc was "OK'ish"??? I do not have a Phd in batteries but I am saying that battery is too low (as in dead /damn close to dead). Also a battery is usually being charged at approx 13.5vdc (not exactly, but approximately). If you take a battery off your charger and let it sit for a couple of hours or put it under a load for a bit you will get you true battery voltage without the fresh surface charge. If you want more information and are interested read "the 12 volt side of life".

Aren't you the one that said your battery at 11.97vdc was "OK'ish"??? I do not have a Phd in batteries but I am saying that battery is too low (as in dead /damn close to dead). Also a battery is usually being charged at approx 13.5vdc (not exactly, but approximately). If you take a battery off your charger and let it sit for a couple of hours or put it under a load for a bit you will get you true battery voltage without the fresh surface charge. If you want more information and are interested read "the 12 volt side of life".

mxscotty follows. You just read his post wrong. He THOUGHT 11.97v was okish, but he later concluded that it wasn't.