Coming to Crested Butte in 30 days

Hey, Gang!

I live in WV and a few buds and I are headed to Crested Butte in mid August to ride. As we are staying in a house in Crested Butte, our plan is to ride in Taylor Park. I've only been once, two years ago. On that trip I was with a group of guys who had been there many many times. This time, I'm the only guy in our group who has been. Yes, they are idiots for putting me "in charge" of things.

I'm looking for good, current trail maps. I've been directed to Latitude 40 maps and I may buy my maps there UNLESS someone with good local knowledge knows of a better source?

We're all set up to go and really looking forward to the trip, but for the 24+ hours in the truck each way. YIKES.

Any input is appreciated! We've already purchased our OHV passes online, have spark arrestors, etc. ­čśĆ

When I ride Taylor I carry the latitude 40 map and also a couple of trails illustrated maps, the latitude map covers a huge area compared to the TI maps, you'll need several TI maps to cover the area but they have great detail and are easy to read.

Thanks guys! I'll do a search for the TI maps unless someone has a link to it. My trip in 08 was amazing and I'm hoping it's just as good this year. I've heard about some trail closures in this area so I'm hoping that won't be too much of a problem.

When I stopped at the Holt rental cabins a few weeks ago, Irene(I think that was her name) and Ralph printed me a booklet of good single track trails in the Taylor park area. I have no idea who wrote the little booklet but I think his name was Steve and he is from Kansas. I will copy the maps and post them alittle later.

The National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps are great. You can find the maps here:

http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_colorado

You can order these online or at many places that have maps. Bass Pro Shop, Cabellas, Gander Mountain, etc. They can order them in and have them in a couple days.

I'd recommend getting TI maps #131 and #132 along with the latitude 40 map.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I'm headed out there in 2 weeks. One last question. Jetting.

2004 YZ 250 two stroke with fresh top and bottom end. FMF Gnarly, otherwise bone stock moto-wise. The rest of the bike is set up nicely for woods riding. I called a yamaha shop in Gunnison and was told to do this (I live at 600' above sea level):

5 steps down on the main jet (that sounds about right to me);

One step RICHER on the pilot jet (this makes NO sense to me AT ALL)

Raise clip on carb needle up one slot (makes sense);

Adjust air screw as needed (makes sense).

So, my question to you folks is this.... should I really swap the pilot jet to one size RICHER? I mean, there's LESS air there, so I need LESS fuel to keep the air/fuel mix the same. So why would they say to go RICHER on the pilot?

I'm no mechanic but.... any thoughts?

Thanks in advance. I've got all of my maps and the non-resident OHV permit already here. I'm stoked.

:banana:

One last thing. I'm bringing a spare rear wheel with a trials tire mounted up. Any of you locals rockin the trials tire out there? I just thought that with all the rocks the trials tire would be a good idea. I'll have my stock 19" rear with a knob on it so I can swap out in like 5 minutes.

The yamaha shop in gunni is useally pretty good. Maybe the richer pilot is for temperature control, keepin her cool on the long climbs. But on the other hand, my brother has a '04 YZ250 and he leaves his jetting stock, swears by it, and wont even let me move a clip.

Trails tire- I dont, but lots of my friends do. I'd say about 1 in 10 riders have one out here.

Thanks! Never thought about the cooling aspect of the larger pilot. Hey, do you know what your brother's stock jetting is? I'm running a 178 main down here near sea level. I assume that if you buy a bike in CO, the shop swaps jets before you roll it out of there. I highly doubt that my 178 will work AT ALL at 9k feet and up.

As far as the trials tire, i haven't tried it yet, some of my friends seem to have good luck, but several of us just ran through that whole area on the Monkey Butt 500 (look it up, hilarious good time!) and the only tire issue in 520 miles was the only trials tire-hole in sidewall on a Tubeliss system. That being said, anything can happen anywhere. i didn't see a big advantage in that terrain, because a lot of it was pretty loose climbs and my knobbies hooked up fine and i didn't have to run a low pressure, plus when we were on highway or high speed dirt roads (80mph or so) i was still comfortable. I would just run what you have and have spare tubes, patches and air!

HHAHAHAHAHAHA Snort! That's a good one!

I'd have to agree with no2tracks.

I have no idea what the stock jets are, probably stock. Like I said, he won't let me even touch them. Maybe thats why I'm faster than him, maybe I'm just younger and faster. I know that I run a 145 main in my '99 380 EXC, and it SCREAMS!!!

Thanks again guys! As for tires, I'm bringing the trials tire on its own wheel so the swap will be a 5 minute deal. I'll have standard knobs on it to start with. AND I'm running Tireballs in everything, so flats are a non-issue. That avoids the need to carry spare tubes or a pump/cartridge. I got turned onto the tireball thing 2 seasons ago and I like them. GAWD AWFUL to change a tire, but eliminating the possibility of a flat is worth it (to me).

Thanks again for the tips. I'm all fired up to get out there. This is my vacation and I intend to act accordingly. Ooooooooh yeaaaaahhhhh.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from our trip to CB and man what a GREAT time we had. Rode 5 days consecutively, about 60 miles per day. Hit all the stuff we could find near CB, starting off on Cement Creek. Star trail and Block and Tackle were probably the most challenging things we ran I'd say. We ran Star from South to North, and ran B&T uphill which had a few tricky sections but we all cleaned the whole thing so it was fun.

Scenery was fantastic and the riding was top drawer. Oh, I rode over the tree bridge at the bottom of Deadman which I'm hoping wasn't against the rules. The way I see it, it's more environmentally sound than riding through the creek. That was kinda scary though and my buddies didn't really want me to do it, I don't think. :bonk:

All of the hikers and mt. bikers we encountered were gracious and friendly. We had no adverse encounters with anyone at all.

I wanted to thank all of the folks who responded to my posts bc the info really did help. I ended up running a 162 main jet (stock 178) and left the pilot alone. I did tweak the air mixture screw to full lean and that did help but I still had NO power down low, which was probably just due to the lack of o2 at the elevations we were running.

Thanks again TT gang. We'll be back again next year, I'm sure.

Brent

Glad you had a great time. Now you see why there's such a push for joining and supporting organizations that are fighting to keep those trails open. Join and support COHVCO with your membership and donations.

It's in the best interests of us out-of-staters that like to travel there to ride. If you can afford to travel from West Virginia to ride Colorado, you can afford to support the organizations dedicated to keeping trails open so they're still there and legal to ride the next time you go.

I wasn't aware of a group that is fighting this fight. Now that I am, I shall join and donate. I am aware of the land closure issues in general and if I lived out there, I'd be personally involved (I'm a lawyer).

I'll be joining this group ASAP and I bet my riding buddies will as well. Thanks for the heads up!