What happens to off road tires on the road?

I've got a plate on my XR650R, and it's fun to ride around town, but I don't any touring on it. I switched from some Bridgestone road tires (great on road, aweful off) to some Kenda Trakmasters (New, but seem great off road and self destructing on road with that much motor). Seems to me I either have to get a weak off road tread for any type of road life, or a short life for any type of off road traction. What would really be the worst case scenario if I just ran whatever rear tire I can find cheap online or locally, even if it's not DOT approved? I don't forsee any issues with law enforcement, as the bike doesn't even have mirrors, blinkers, a horn, or anything other than the OEM head and tail lights. Thanks for everyone's input.

What I have been told is that the only difference in DOT is straight line braking and standing water.Knobbies do good in standing water on pavement,they just cant brake as fast.If a guy makes it a point to ride so as to need to lock em up no tire will save him.Cornering hard could be iffy,but I wouldnt corner hard with dual sport tires either.

all my dads buddies take trials tires onto pavement. they work real well. except for the fact that because they are so soft, when they get heated up the knobs start to literally tear off. so, thats just something to take into consideration. but they still easily get ~1000 miles out of a rear. probably more. thats just a rough guess.

and yes, they do go on "touring" rides