Advice on a 2004 TE450

Hey. I'm really interested in this bike, but I don't really know what to look for when buying used. Can you take a quick look at these pictures and tell me if you think this is a good deal for $2000? Tires look a little dull, but thats all I can really see.

Thanks,

Kevin

olympusdigitalcamera81.th.jpg

olympusdigitalcamera82.th.jpg

olympusdigitalcamera83.th.jpg

olympusdigitalcamera84.th.jpg

olympusdigitalcamera205.th.jpg

olympusdigitalcamera206.th.jpg

tyres are cheap..,

they look o.k.,

it's fairly standard looking,

Oversize tank is a +..good thing,

if it starts easily on the battery, and sounds as sweet as a KTM 450 , then I think $2000 is a fair price.

if it doesn't start well or sounds rough.. walk away ,

it could swallow a lot of parts if it's really tired.

Charlie

The issues I had with my 04 Tc450 were: Mikuni carb-never could get it jetted correctly. No hot start. Valves needed to be changed. Suspension needs revalve. Some had problems with the kick start. The good thing is the bike hauls ass! So kehnin carb, del west valves & LTR suspension and the bike will rip! If it were me I'd look for 05 and newer. Good luck

Lucky Day! Any advice on a 04 TC 450? Im looking at one from a dealer here in Canada for $1999. I would have to buy it unseen since its a few thousand km away but they said they will write in a 30 day return policy provided I dont blow it to bits or wreck it. I have a 610 that im really happy with but just sold my 250 smoker and want a thumper for the woods

Thanks

I recently bought an '04 TC450 and I'd have to agree with others.

The suspension is very, very harsh. It's like when decending on trails I tend to use my knees on the tank as much as possible to avoid holding on to the bars.That's number one on my "to do" list.

Second the gearing is the closest, close ratio 5 spd I've ever ridden. I'd like to eventually swap for the TE 6spd tranny when I come across a good deal on one. I already got a hold of a counter balancer which will go in at the same time (which the TC needs badly, and I think the TE also).

Other than that, so far so good. Good luck. ­čśĆ

I think the 04 is a pretty good machine overall if it has been consistantly well maintained. The biggest issue in the 04 was valve life. The 05 and more so the 06 were better sorted bikes. The 06 had a stronger kicker, and clutch basket, refined valves and the bigger forks. That said if the 04 bike has been well treated it will be a good and reliable machine. The bottom ends are very robust.

I thought the 04 had a counter balancer? If not it is much smoother than the 06. At least the ones I own.

Thanks!

Tony

I recently bought an '04 TC450 and I'd have to agree with others.

The suspension is very, very harsh. It's like when decending on trails I tend to use my knees on the tank as much as possible to avoid holding on to the bars.That's number one on my "to do" list.

Second the gearing is the closest, close ratio 5 spd I've ever ridden. I'd like to eventually swap for the TE 6spd tranny when I come across a good deal on one. I already got a hold of a counter balancer which will go in at the same time (which the TC needs badly, and I think the TE also).

Other than that, so far so good. Good luck. ­čśĆ

The TE and SMR have the counterbalancer, but the TC does not. I don't know who came up with that idea ­čśĆ

I thought the 04 had a counter balancer? If not it is much smoother than the 06. At least the ones I own.

Thanks!

Tony