06 KX450 compared 09 CR450?

Almost everyone who rides a Honda switches to them. An '09 Honda is better than an '09 Kawi, and the Kawi is a great bike.

Look at the starting line of an amatuer motocross race, and observe what bike people choose when they have to spend their own money.

Given the pace of development of these machines, a move from pretty much any 2006 model to the 2009 CRF should be a significant improvement unless Honda are doing something really wrong. Particularly when you consider that the 2006 KX450 was Kawasaki's first 450F, whereas Honda was on its fifth year of CRF by then. You'd also be moving from a big, very stable, some would say 'slow turning' motocross cycle to one of the smallest, lightest, quickest turning (and some would say 'nervous handling') big bore motocross bikes available. So you should also ask yourself what type of machine do you like to ride, and can you adapt to something that will probably feel completely alien to your current bike? There are also some durability concerns with the CRF clutch and gearbox for the current generation of CRF450, so you may want to take that into consideration also.

I moved from a 2006 YZF to the 2009 CRF. Once I got the bike setup for my weight and riding style, it is superior to my old bike in almost every aspect. I say 'almost', because the YZF was bulletproof over the long haul, and the jury is still out on the CRF.