07 kxf250 not shifting correctly.

the details. bike was shifting fine before tearing it down. Tore it down b/c of top end noise. As expected big end conrod bearing shot. Split the cases and replaced w/ new crank / conrod and bearing from hot cams. When I split the cases I did NOT remove any of the tranny gears, shift forks, or shift rods holding them in place. only pulled flywheel, clutch, primary gear, starter gear. left everything else in there. did not touch the shift mech. other than pulling the shift shaft itself (needed to split case). That slips right back into place. Only one way to put it. I basically didn't touch anything related to shifting other than pulling out the shift shaft. Left the following all alone: ratchet assembly, ratchet plate, shift dram cam, gear set lever, shift rods, shift drum, 3 shift forks, and two gear sets.

when I started the whole process bike was in neutral. As far as I know, it still is. anyway, put back together, bike will only shift up or down one gear. not sure why.. ratchet mech seems to be sticking, yet I don't see any debris. I guess I may have to break it down, but I figured since I didn't touch it to start with, all should be good, plus I keep a clean shop.

I'm pretty sure you are suppose to button it back up in neutral, are there some marks on the shift drum, forks, and gear set that show neutral?

I already split it back open to look at everything. so she is opened up again.

thanks

mark

Well once its a apart you are basically responsible to take it all apart, inspect it, measure specs and reassemble it. One of the shift forks probably didnt stay in the shift drum groove so now it wont shift properly. Now that its your second time letss do it right. You need to check each and every bearing, seal, gear, and shift component. Bearings need to be checked for notchiness and play, gears checked for dog wear, shift forks checked for straightness and wear and shift drum for bad bearing and grooves are smooth. Replace anyhting that even appears to be worn.

the ratchet plate had a small notch worn into it. when engine was fully ass. with oil it shifted okay. half apart with no oil wouldn't shift. to much friction. replaced plate. shifts fine.