09 Ktm 200 or 08 yz250f?

I have a completely stock 08 yz250f with under 15 hours that my son rides and I occassiontally take for a spin. I found a good deal on a new 09 ktm 200 that I am thinking of buying and sell the yz250f. Whats your opinions of the two bikes for woods/trail riding in ohio,kentucky,indiana, and michigan?

I am 185lbs at 5'8", and son is 140lbs at 5'7".

Edited by ohioryder

I have a completely stock 08 yz250f with under 15 hours that my son rides and I occassiontally take for a spin. I found a good deal on a new 09 ktm 200 that I am thinking of buying and sell the yz250f. Whats your opinions of the two bikes for woods/trail riding in ohio,kentucky,indiana, and michigan?

I am 185lbs at 5'8", and son is 140lbs at 5'7".

the 200 pulls similar to a 250F low to mid, then screams away from it up top. The 250F will have more torque and be more herky jerky to ride with the engine braking.

The 200 should be easier to ride and the power is uber tunable and easy to increase.

There is something to be said for a 209lb bike with almost 250 2t power.

Throw a leg over one and see for yourself...

I have a '08 KTM 200 and I ride in KY, WV and Ohio and I think it is the perfect bike for trail riding and woods riding. I'm 6' 190 lbs and it has plenty of power. Go for it, just like gmoss said the 200 is very tunable and I think will be better for woods riding than a 250F.

what sort of riding does your son normaly do? and what type of 200 is it, if it's an XC-w and he only rides MX, i'd be walking strait past it, if it's an XC and he does a mix of mx and offroad then you have the ideal bike, if he does only offroad then the either the XC-w or XC are IMO a much better option then the YZ250F

an xc will handle moderate mx quite well, but for a quick rider they're to soft, they're about perfect for a fast offroad rider, they're a great compromise if you need a bike that will do both mx and offroad in one bike but can't hack mx suspension offroad.

Lightweight, easy to toss around and forgiving. No valves to adjust either. I have been reacquainted with the 2T and really enjoy it on the trails.

You can adjust the power valve if you miss that valve maintenance. 😏

I find my two stroke is more fun when ridden aggressively, power on, power off.

For lazy riding, four strokes are better.

I have an XR400 and KTM 200SX.

I ride similar terrain in PA and WV and purchased a 200 XCW for the same price a few month ago.

Have come to find the 200 is far more capable than I expected. With very challenging trails that I've run about every size bike on, 2 and 4 stroke, the 200 can do it all and then some since it's very light feeling and does not wear on the rider.

Its very easy to ride hard compared to my 300 which can be a real handful. Back to back against a 320 XCF except for the off idle torque it hauls very well.

If you do it plan to properly jet the bike.

Given the opportunity to ride on be sure to open it up. Top end will be way faster than any YZ250F since the KTM is a 'W' is a wide ratio tranny.

If you were closer I'd be happy to let you try it out.

Good luck

just remember on the test ride that the stock 09 200 will have an early two stroke hit. But, like everyone has said that hit is easily ajustable to come on a little later in the throttle if you wish to make it a little more woods friendly.

The 200 is an awesome bike 😏

I ride similar terrain in PA and WV and purchased a 200 XCW for the same price a few month ago.

Have come to find the 200 is far more capable than I expected. With very challenging trails that I've run about every size bike on, 2 and 4 stroke, the 200 can do it all and then some since it's very light feeling and does not wear on the rider.

Its very easy to ride hard compared to my 300 which can be a real handful. Back to back against a 320 XCF except for the off idle torque it hauls very well.

If you do it plan to properly jet the bike.

Given the opportunity to ride on be sure to open it up. Top end will be way faster than any YZ250F since the KTM is a 'W' is a wide ratio tranny.

If you were closer I'd be happy to let you try it out.

Good luck

We may be getting it from the same dealer...Bently's?

The only thing the 250f will have over the 200 is the torque for climbing hills but a 7 or 9 oz fly wheel weight will fix that, then it all 200.....

a FWW doesnt give the bike more torque, it simply smooth the pwoerband out and makes it harder to stall, if yur crawling up hills lugging it then it will help ya.

a FWW doesnt give the bike more torque, it simply smooth the pwoerband out and makes it harder to stall, if yur crawling up hills lugging it then it will help ya.

it allows the torque to be used, put to the ground, instead of just breaking traction and spinning. So, in a way, yes it yields more USABLE torque.

Although your right as far as giving the 200 more torque but your still WRONG.

The FWW slows down the rear wheel spin giving the bike/ rider the use of the torque it has on hand. SO YES it does....

And just to set you stright.... I didn't say a FWW would give it any more torque....

Although your right as far as giving the 200 more torque but your still WRONG.

The FWW slows down the rear wheel spin giving the bike/ rider the use of the torque it has on hand. SO YES it does....

And just to set you stright.... I didn't say a FWW would give it any more torque....

in actualy fact, it takes some torque from the engine, since it takes a certain amount of power to turn the extra weight it in essence makes the engine less powerful, at constant RPM it still will make the same power, but with RPM rising it takes the snap out by absorbing and storeing more energy in the flywheel, really all it does is makes it so you can crank the throttle open more without it spinning up, but not by giving it more torque, but by taking some of it and storeing it in the flywheel, really a FWW is simply promoting a lazier riding style.

it shouldn't matter anyway, if your riding properly then you'll be slipping the clutch to gain traction if it's limited.