Did your parents support you?

Simple enough question. My dad does his best to support me and takes me out to trails and the track to ride. Although he doesn't know anything about the sport I'm happy that he spends the time to try and ride with me. So how supportive were/are your parents of the sport?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 16 and my parents want me to sell my bike and buy a small trail bike. They're scared I'll kill myself on the 450 and hate that I'm spending all my money on maintaining it.

Haha, I'm riding a small bike right now. I need a bigger bike, but it's going to be a long time before I move up.

Edited by Alex226

Mine weren't very supportive. They put me on a bike when I was 11, had a few race bikes but they never would let me race. Sold my bikes when I turned 16. My senior year in high school they bought me a used CR125 and my step dad took me to my first track day. Pretty much from then on it was all me. Went through college and bought 3 new bikes and paid my own way through. Now i'm 26 and i'm staying at my parents place while my broken leg heals. Mom and Dad think i'm going to quit. It would have been nice to come up with a lot of support from my family, but i've seen so many families get into it and quit that I think it was an advantage for me in some respect.

My parents wouldn't support me at all. My mothers brother(My uncle) was a racer in the early 70's. He was always broke, broken, and dirty. Drank a lot, smoked a lot...typical racer of the 70's. My step-dad drag raced, but my mom wouldn't allow me a minibike. So, I traded everything I could find for motor driven things as a child. Much to my mothers opposition. I hid bikes at friends houses, in the woods, behind the shed, etc. Anything to ride. My mother said she always knew it, that I'd be like her brother. She said I came out making a motor sound. I'm still that same little kid though. I spend every last cent and free moment on my dirt bikes. Going to Montana tomorrow. Rocky Mtn High, Continental Divide. Gonna stay near Happy's Inn ๐Ÿ˜

my dad takes me riding and give me pills when i got a broken bone...but i bought my bike and all its parts myself (along with every other item i own)! now im 16 and driving (with a car i bought my self). and he is selling his bike to get a street bike, looks like ill be racing alone for now on ๐Ÿ˜

My parents would never buy me a bike, or let me buy a bike. Earlier this year I moved out of state for a job and free education. As soon as i got into my apt, which i made sure i got a garage too. I bought my first bike 2002 YZ125, and it was worth the wait. I have so much fun riding and can not wait to get to a track. So no parrental support here, but i make enough now to support myself. Next project is a complete garage set up ๐Ÿ˜

My parents dont support me whatsoever, and my mom makes sure I know she disapproves the Drz400sm, but they dont care how I spend my money which is good enough for me.

My dad even made me pay for gas on the way to pick up my bike when I bought it ๐Ÿ˜ I cant even afford a car yet mostly because I waste to much $ on my bike and parts, but I dont care its worth it to ๐Ÿ˜.

Edited by crzyatv

It's all relative, I'm kinda in the middle. My parents didn't mind if I rode, and loaned me a little bit of money to get a bike. My mom has made it to a handful of races, my dad a bit less than her.

They were busy and no one else in the family was interested in racing.

I was very fortunate growing up that my parents supported me. My father was a local expert and ran a couple nationals back in the 80's (and actually just gave up MX last year), so of course he had no problem getting his kids into racing. My mom never wanted my brother and I to have bikes, but she gave in, then she didn't want us to race, but that ended too. Then the deal was I could race if I did something "normal" as well, so I played baseball and hated it for a couple years. But over time she realized how much I loved riding, and she gave up trying to get me to quit and started supporting me more. My father went to every race with me (normally b/c he was racing too unless he was injured at the time) up until I was 18, and my mom would go to a few each year. Now a days I go to most races alone, but my parents still go to a few with me when they are around, and my mother has even stopped trying to talk me out of it when I get hurt ๐Ÿ˜

its sweeter when you haul your own ass, work for your own money,own your own bike. i worked since i was a kid on a farm to earn the money for my first bike. thats how it was for all my friends too. a lots changed in those twenty years. fair play to the remaining few teenagers who try to pull thier weight.

My dad bought me bike after bike after bike until he bought my first car and then I stopped riding. I was too busy chasing tail to ride haha. I never raced and he never rode with me. I had brothers for that. Now I have kids and all but the oldest has bikes and fourwheelers. I ride with my youngest boy the most but we all go out as a family at times to ride.

as far as support my dad was the best, as far as me,,,i try my best to be like him.๐Ÿ˜ I know, sappy...isn't it.

Yes,my parents DO support me 100%,my mom says if it keeps you out of trouble,its fine she dated a guy with a yz125 so it wasnt too hard to get past mom with all the bikes.My dad very supportive,bought me 2 dirtbikes the 3rd one I paid for but my dad has been riding for 35 years and loves it had many 2 strokes back in the day,but currently rides a 2008 KLX450R.