BRAKELIGHT FOR KDX (and tags)

I just sold my DRZ 400e and got a KDX 220 (Hurray!, I love 2-strokes and light weight). I want to put a brake light on it and TAGS so I can go where ORV's aren't allowed. (where I live, tags are $9.50 and there is no inspection anymore). I did this on the DRZ by putting a duplicate LED strip under the original one and mounting a $8 switch to the rear brake pedal. (gave the oklahoma park rangers fits, but haven't been bothered in AR). I'm looking for a cheap, but not ugly, LED solution. I don't want the big stocker AND another light, like the partial under-fenders with a light on it. I would like to convert the stk light to a stop/tail. Do you think I can just change the socket and find a LED bulb that can withstand trails, or give me your ideas please.­čśĆ

Double check it but I think the stock socket is setup for a dual filament bulb. I know my '90 was and I used that to convert to a tail/brake setup. There was an extra wire in the loom that was wired to the socket but was unused.

Unfortunately, you will find that it isn't bright enough using the stock stator with an actual 1157 bulb. When you hit the brake both filaments will dim out and just barely glow. Either have the stator rewound or you are going to have to look into an LED alternative that can put out enough light to be legal.

^^^ not true. The stator easily powers the light. My 200 had a tail/brake setup from previous owner I took it off and it just had a dual stage bulb. I still have it and the switch! If you want it I could sell it to ya.

^^^ not true. The stator easily powers the light. My 200 had a tail/brake setup from previous owner I took it off and it just had a dual stage bulb. I still have it and the switch! If you want it I could sell it to ya.

B.S.

A stock stator puts out about 40 watts max. Stock headlight bulb eats 30 watts and a standard Sylvania 1157 bulb uses 26.9 watts. That adds up to 56.9 watts total. Now, tell me again how a stock stator can run that? I would guess that the previous owner of the 200 you owned had put an upgraded stator in it. Most aftermarket stators put out 60-65 watts.

On my 03 I bought a tail light socket off the shelf at Auto Zone. I had already been running a MX fender with a UFO light, so I had a pressure switch and all the wiring in place.

I'm with SS109 on the lighting coil not being up to par. Lights would dim a great deal idling at a stop light, and if I kept my toe on the brake the lights all but shut off. A Moose coil was a mild improvement. Going to a LED tail light bulb stopped my diming problem, but I couldn't get the stupid things to last (cheapies).

On my 03 I bought a tail light socket off the shelf at Auto Zone. I had already been running a MX fender with a UFO light, so I had a pressure switch and all the wiring in place.

I'm with SS109 on the lighting coil not being up to par. Lights would dim a great deal idling at a stop light, and if I kept my toe on the brake the lights all but shut off. A Moose coil was a mild improvement. Going to a LED tail light bulb stopped my diming problem, but I couldn't get the stupid things to last (cheapies).

You guys are absolutely right, unfortunately. I bought a socket, put a regular 1157 in it today and when you touch the brake wire, head and tail (all) go to almost nothing. And I expect the same bad results of LED bulbs not lasting, they don't even last in my VTX. Guess I'll have to go some other route.

You guys are absolutely right, unfortunately. I bought a socket, put a regular 1157 in it today and when you touch the brake wire, head and tail (all) go to almost nothing. And I expect the same bad results of LED bulbs not lasting, they don't even last in my VTX. Guess I'll have to go some other route.

I don't know. I have good luck with the cheapy ones I purchased at Autozone. They look like these...

1157r.jpg

I did away with the socket and hard wired (soldered) them in and faced them facing straight to the rear. They have be running since November of '09 without any problems. BTW, that is with the stock stator and 30 watt headlight and it works great.

I don't know. I have good luck with the cheapy ones I purchased at Autozone. They look like these...

1157r.jpg

I did away with the socket and hard wired (soldered) them in and faced them facing straight to the rear. They have be running since November of '09 without any problems. BTW, that is with the stock stator and 30 watt headlight and it works great.

Doing away with the socket is what's working for you.

The ones I had the little wires were the only thing holding the LED assembly to the base, and the vibration of the bike would just fatigue the wires till they broke. Some didn't last 1 full ride. I think the last one I used I squeezed some RTV in around it to hold it in place better. Can't quite recall, it's been about 4 years now.....