pipes

depends is it a platinum 2 or platinum, platinum 2 really focuses on bottom end. I have a PC P2 and PC S/A on my 200. makes for an awesome powerband. Plus the P2 is thicker and wont dent as easily as P.

Both PC and FMF make different pipes with different power curves for the same bike. So it really depends on the MODEL of the pipe like ASG went into. Since we still don't know the model the OP was referring to, the Pro Circuit Works pipe is all top end. So forget about the twisties with that.

pipes dont help much. stock is the best power maker. if you want more power port your heads.

+1. I like the stock pipes best. ­čśĆ

pipes dont help much. stock is the best power maker. if you want more power port your heads.

I never heard of porting heads on a 2-stroke. must be something new.

Pipes DO make a diff, sometimes big. I've just started researching for the

KDX 220 I got last weekend. The FRP site does not recommend putting a torque pipe on a 220. Says go with broad range FMF for starters, then

port CYLINDER and mill head and bore out carb to have one mean KDX.

But the right pipe and jetting is the first thing I have always done on ANY bike performance-wise.

For a 2 stroke exhaust scavenging engine, the expansion chamber is one of the single most important aspects of it's power delivery. Think of it as your supercharger. The shape and size of the chamber makes a huge difference. With different pipes, you can move the power up or down in the rev range, and as compared to most stock pipes, you can actually gain power everywhere.

I found that with the FMF SST. Other than that I like PC pipes. I dont like 220 KDX because you have to spend so much money to make them a good bike. I like 200s bacause they are way more fun, and if you do mod a 200, you will have a fast ass bike.

I found that with the FMF SST. Other than that I like PC pipes. I dont like 220 KDX because you have to spend so much money to make them a good bike. I like 200s bacause they are way more fun, and if you do mod a 200, you will have a fast ass bike.

Nice to hear that from a guy with both! Normally the 220 guys are adamant about it's superiority, and likewise from the 200 crowd. I prefer the snap of the 200 as well. Seems to me to be a more versatile engine.

I like it so much! its got a nice bottom end pull you can rely on (thx PC P2 pipe) and a top end that begs to be screamed 100% of the time. I find the 220s just not as fun. Each one serves a good purpoose though for certain areas. I think my 200 is perfect for anywhere though. hehe. of course its my bike!

I think getting expansion/pressure waves timed right in the pipe is a pretty massive part of getting a 2t to work well. Porting is good but what carb/pipe set up do you use with it? Im sure there are 3rd party companies who have done port/ head mods and done the RnD into what works with it, but how much $$$ are you throwing at this bike?

I asked the seller to relist the pipe so ill wait and see.

Paul

Thats where the FMF SST pipe works. it gives a full boost of power and a decent power gain at that as well as a coulple 1000 overrevs
You couldn't pay me to use an SST on my bike.

A couple of decades ago, it was true that big gains could almost always be had with the installation of an aftermarket pipe. That's no longer the case. With a few exceptions (the KDX is the most notable in recent times) stock pipes have gotten so good that aftermarket pipes rarely create any substantial gains in peak power. What they are useful for is to change the power curve to something more suitable for your conditions or preferences. For example, replacing the stock KX250 pipe with a Gnarly will make about the same peak power as stock, but it will move the torque peak down to a lower rpm while trading some top-end rev for the better low-end. It's a useful trade-off for those that ride in tight technical terrain where low rpm grunt is more important than being able to stretch out the gears. Or you can go with a Fatty or Pro Circuit Platinum, which will give up a bit of low-end grunt in exchange for a little added pull and rev on top. Aftermarket pipes generally only rob Peter to pay Paul.

You couldn't pay me to use an SST on my bike.

A couple of decades ago, it was true that big gains could almost always be had with the installation of an aftermarket pipe. That's no longer the case. With a few exceptions (the KDX is the most notable in recent times) stock pipes have gotten so good that aftermarket pipes rarely create any substantial gains in peak power. What they are useful for is to change the power curve to something more suitable for your conditions or preferences.

Haha I'm glad you excluded the kdx, theres no way the stock pipe is the height of exhaust technology. Plus all thought Ive never had the pipe off yet the muffler weights about 3kg and I cant see the expansion pipe being any less umm well built?

FMF don't list a Fatty for after a 94 kdx did they stop making them? Man they are so cheap over there, we are getting ripped!!!!

Paul

Haha I'm glad you excluded the kdx, theres no way the stock pipe is the height of exhaust technology. Plus all thought Ive never had the pipe off yet the muffler weights about 3kg and I cant see the expansion pipe being any less umm well built?

FMF don't list a Fatty for after a 94 kdx did they stop making them? Man they are so cheap over there, we are getting ripped!!!!

Paul

FMF replaced the Fatty for the KDX with the Gnarly Woods (torque) and Gnarly Desert (rev). The Gnarly is made from 18 gauge steel instead of the standard 20 gauge used for MX pipes so it is more resistant to dents.

Yes, the KDX pipe is a big compromise. It was designed to be very quiet, hence the double-wall construction. As a result, it is both very heavy and very restrictive. And that's why the KDX benefits from a pipe change far more than pretty much all two-stroke MX bikes. The silencer, while heavy, actually performs very well.

The KDX250 was the same way. It had a massively heavy silencer and very heavy and restrictive pipe. I believe the Fatty and Powercore combo added something on the order of 5-6 hp to the KDX250, a performance increase you'll never achieve by changing the pipe on an MX bike.

Ill tell you one thing about the SST, it is everything a pipe wishes it could be. Makes a bad offroad pipe tho sadly. dents easily and doesnt make max torque. I guess every two stroke I buy comes with a pipe from the frikin 90s because they all suck.