XR400 linkage has free play?

It seems as though this shouldn't be happening but i can move the shock and linkage side to side probably 5-10mm.

Comparing to a parts spread out for the xr400 there is a washer im missing details are in the image

Not sure if it suppose to happen but I just realised it whilst putting the needle bearings back in one side of the linkage arm and just quickly putting the shock back in the frame to view and noticed the free play

linkage.jpg

I gotta bring this to the top. The diagram for he xr4 is missisng pieces and nobody seems to want to reply. There should be some washer/tapered bushing lookin things between the motor and the inner dust seal of the swing arm. I hacked mine with a digrinder getting the swing arm out and now cant find them on any diagrams. Can someone PLEASE HELP US!

Thanks,

Dan Edge

That washer is installed under the nut. My Y2K XR has no other parts than those shown in the diagram. I also have room for side to side play in that dog bone union. I don't think it's a problem.

Comparing to a parts spread out for the xr400 there is a washer im missing details are in the image

I know what parts you speak of but have found no reference to them either. They most likely are not available.

In this diagram they would be that hole near item 10 in the rear of the crankcase halves. If you can't locate new ones then you'll need to locate some used crankcase halves that you can scavenge from or have some made or McGyver something.

http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/schematics/Honda/HJ150024.gif

I gotta bring this to the top. The diagram for he xr4 is missisng pieces and nobody seems to want to reply. There should be some washer/tapered bushing lookin things between the motor and the inner dust seal of the swing arm. I hacked mine with a digrinder getting the swing arm out and now cant find them on any diagrams. Can someone PLEASE HELP US!

Thanks,

Dan Edge

That washer is installed under the nut. My Y2K XR has no other parts than those shown in the diagram. I also have room for side to side play in that dog bone union. I don't think it's a problem.

Thankyou my question has basically bee answered. Even if i am missing that washer i dont think much harm can be done so i'll re-assemble when my engine is back ­čśĆ

Thanks for the confirmation TrialRyder,

I just wanted to make sure i was not looking at the wrong thing. My question is, are those bushings attached to the case or just loose on the swing arm shaft? Also do the bushings in the swingarm go right to the edge of the dust seal or do the tapered bushings that im missing make the seal inside the swingarm? My swingarm is at the machine shop with my motor so i cant look at it. My thought is too just replace the tapered bushings with washers if they do not effect the inner dust seal of the swingarm...if you know what im saying?

Thank you,

Dan Edge

They're attached to the case. They must be a press fit. I've never removed them or had them out. They are not a seal, nor do they make a seal with the swingarm. The swingarm dust seals take care of sealing the swingarm.

You'll still need a bushing in the engine journal hole that the swingarm bolt goes thru. If it's just the head of those bushings you buggered up, you may be able to use the bushing tube itself, just machine the buggered head off them and take up the space with washers.

I have no idea if those bushings fill the entire width of the engine journal there or just go in an inch or so. Having a head on them would allow them to just extend into the hole an inch or so and them be able to do the job the bushing is designed for. But without a head on the bushings, the bushing will need to fill the entire width of the engine journal hole, from side to side, or else you risk having two short pieces of bushing floating around in there. They could work themselves to one side of the hole and leave the other side unsupported and the engine journal hole would become wallered out pretty quick, ruining the case half.

The heads of those bushings are tapered like that to help alignment and installation of the swingarm.

Thanks for the confirmation TrialRyder,

I just wanted to make sure i was not looking at the wrong thing. My question is, are those bushings attached to the case or just loose on the swing arm shaft? Also do the bushings in the swingarm go right to the edge of the dust seal or do the tapered bushings that im missing make the seal inside the swingarm? My swingarm is at the machine shop with my motor so i cant look at it. My thought is too just replace the tapered bushings with washers if they do not effect the inner dust seal of the swingarm...if you know what im saying?

Thank you,

Dan Edge

Thank You TrialRyder for the excellent info. I was certainly hoping it was not part of the case but now that I know it is.... I guess i really screwed up by hacking it away. I will be picking up the motor this afternoon after work and all I can hope for is that the inner case bushing runs the entire lenght of the case. However i have a feeling you are correct by saying that is has the collar because it is two seperate pieces otherwise it would never be able to be pressed in there in the first place. Im not sure where to go from here.... any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Daniel Edgerly

I think first, I'd go ahead and drop by a Honda dealer and see if they can be had. Cross reference other bikes that use the same engine. Even tho the XR is no longer made/imported here, Japan is still getting them and other bikes that use this engine. Might be able to find a Japanese source.

Motorcycle junkyards is another option.

When you get the engine back, try to determine if the bushings insert long enough to meet in the middle or do they just extend an inch or so into the hole. If long enough that they meet in the middle, you may get away with just using washers.

Removing the bushings so the O.D., I.D. and length measurements can be taken so a shop can make a pair is another option.

Thanks TrailRyder,

Your replies are extremely helpful and much appreciated. This afternoon Ill take a look an hope for the best scenario. I also was thinking McMaster car as an option, they have similiar bushings with collars as long as I can get an accurate O.D and I.D.

Thanks,

Dan Edge