thinking of getting a 09 klr 650

hi all just a little history on me im 53 been riding for ever i have now an 08 ktm xcfw250/280, 08 c50 suzuki boulevard and an 09 klx250s im thinking of getting an 09 left over klr 650 and try this bigger d/s stuff anything i should now, im realy starting to enjoy the dual sport riding seems to be a no presure kind of riding and good buch of guys

thanks Rich

I'm kinda like you - except that I'm 44. I now have an '06 KLR650 that I absolutely LOVE to ride. I now have my '03 Kawi 1500 MeanStreak for sale at my local dealership and gonna have the KLR only. Not really sure what to tell you - I love how the KLR rides and handles on the street. I'm not trying to race anyone anymore - each bike I get is slower than the one before. I wanted to make sure I enjoyed the KLR before I sold my MeanStreak - and I definitely do.

HA, I'm also 53 and bouncing the idea around for either a KLR or the KLX. The KLX appeals to me more since I've been learning about them. Can't go wrong with a KLR.

I got an FJR for my touring ride and a R90s, what I'm wanting is a summer ride play bike that's not too heavy for puddle jumping.

Came on here to see what the thoughts are.....

Well, I just turned 40 and have had my '09 KLR for about a year and some change. I have ridden it on freeways and fire roads. I've camped off it. I toured on it. I love how it handles in town. Very nimble 😏 As you have read on here and other KLR forums it has a few niggles to wok out. Nothing earth shattering. I sometimes think about selling it for something more powerfull. For the most part that means heavier. Then I ride ole red and love it all over again.

Terry

well just picked up an 09 left over for $4600. otd (red) last night only put 15 miles on it but thats the most fun i have had on a road bike this thing is a blast to ride more details after i go through it this week end

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my 09 for almost 4 months and have put 7,000 miles on it. 2,200 miles was in the last 8 days. I love the bike, but the OEM seat is a sick joke that is not funny. By about 2K or 3K miles you will be sitting on the seat pan and you will absolutely be in tears by about 200 miles. I was doing 350-400 mile days and I will never do a ride like that again without a aftermarket seat. My seat foam is dead, there is a big hole where my precious ass rests.... and that hole leads straight to the hard plastic seat pan. I also have the Wall Mart ATV seat cover on, and I am sure it helped but not near enough!

I love my 09 KLR 3700 miles of pleasure, Im 45 and just getting too scared of getting hurt on the screamers, I could not have made a better choice the only drawback for me is 1st gear should be lower for the tight alabama woods but compared to the other big dualies its better for the long haul:banana:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am 52 yo and really enjoy riding my 08 KLR for exploring dirt roads and dual sport rides but I was getting too beat up trying to keep up with my buddies in the tight woods so I picked up a cheap 96 KDX200 for that duty.

I had to use an abacus, 3 calculators and a wegee board to realize I'm 54:bonk:

I had 15 bikes in the last 20 years, 5 Urals, Royal Star, BMW R1100GS, 08 Nomad, R1200RT, 08 KLR, sold them all and kept our 09 KLR and 05 Ural Tourist, etc.

I did a solo trip to Baja Mexico, Arizona, California in March, Death Valley (freaken hot and expensive) in April 2010, most of california, with the exception of Sonoma County very beautiful is a blur..... Put your glasses back on you donky!, 3 months and 13,000 miles, bike now has 14,000 miles, valves still don't need adjusting, and my original Dohicky says hello.

Everyone has their favorites, I ditched the heavier bikes after I fell in love with the 09 KLR, it's light and nibble, frugal on gas and repairs, never lets me down. I did 13k as a sidecar rig and 1K as a solo.

I'm in the process of ditching the tank, shrouds, faring, in favor of the IMS 6.6 tank and Trail-Tech 8" race light with H4 mod from Cyclops Motorsports. Going to shed some bulk and weight and add some in protection with Happy Trails radiator resevour guard, EC engine guard and highway pegs and skid plate. Hiding the ECU, relays and shorting the electrical harness is a work in progress, still fun.

Next big trip is Alaska next summer.

Cheers,

Marty

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Posted my situation resently, How Im looking at KLR650. Sadly got little response. I own and ride 03 r1150gsa adv,05 ps250 Rukus, o6 fz1, and 07 wr450. I see alot of advantage to the klr over my current stable. Thinking to cull out fz, and or gs, But def not wr. Not been on kaw section much, but starting to search for more info. Need to check for all practical add on items. Entend to use klr as commuter, rain day, short trip, erronds, and some play time.👍