Exhaust Laws

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maine just put a law into effect this week that a motorcycle exhaust can't be louder than stock or louder than the vehicles around. What are the exhaust laws if any in your state/country.

What kind of a weird law is that?! So if one buys a custom bike that comes with a loud exhaust because it's "stock" that's legal? What if you live by a truck stop? Is a loud bike ok there but illegal in a quieter part of town? The target for acceptable sound level seems to "move" with that law.

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜

Keep telling yourself that.

If CA can regulate it, they will. Just look at CARB.

All it will take is one crystal grippin' hippie to see some semi-threatened songbird to look a little annoyed when a bike rolls by it and all hell will break loose. Then the college kids will show up with their signs and chants, the local news will get ahold of it and talk about how motorcycles are destroying nature, and before you know it kids won't even be alloyed to put baseball cards in the spokes of their bikes for fear that some little creature might take offense to the noise........... i'm just saying...

What kind of a weird law is that?! So if one buys a custom bike that comes with a loud exhaust because it's "stock" that's legal? What if you live by a truck stop? Is a loud bike ok there but illegal in a quieter part of town? The target for acceptable sound level seems to "move" with that law.

I'm wondering those same questions. It would be smarter for them to pass a decibal law than that stupid one that they pushed through. I don't see how their law would hold up in court if they said your bike was louder than other cars around you ๐Ÿ˜ Needless to say my mrd/ssw isn't coming off and I'm not putting a butt plug in it and robbing the power just to make the state happy. Although I will let off the throttle with the see the coppers in view ๐Ÿ˜

I dont know the laws in Georgia. But my loud exhaust lets cars know im rite next to them. That make me feels safer and ill pay any ticket and argue with the judge about it. what are they gonna do raise my taxes, take my license, lock me up? I just dont get on the gas at night, life is to shot to worry about ways the government is trying to get out of dept by raping us. Just tell the cop its like a back up beeper for safety purposes.

I live in california. That will never pass here. The only good thing about the loud ass Harley davidson is the law makers ride them. So if they can all motorcycles can !

I hate to tell you Anthony but the law is already 90% of the way through the process and expected to pass. Luckily, it will only affect bikes constructed in 2011 and later. They will be required to have stock exhaust. Take a moment and look up Senate Bill 435.

The previous iteration of the bill would have required stock exhaust systems on all motorcycles constructed on or after Jan. 1, 2000. ๐Ÿ˜

Here your technically not supposed to have the exhaust outlet of the muffler is widened, and the muffler cant be made to "increase noice output or shoot flames". They dont/rarely enforce it though as long as it isnt to outrageus or your being stuiped about where and when your revving it. I would say at least 70% of vehicles in my school parking lot have aftermarket exhaust but its rare someone actually gets a ticket for it.

There is a bylaw in edmonton, the nearest city to me, and its that all motorcycles have to be 92DB at idle and 96DB from 3-5K RPM, only applies to bikes too, no other vehicles. I dont care though, my un-corked full Yoshi is'nt going anywhere. ๐Ÿ˜

I hate to tell you Anthony but the law is already 90% of the way through the process and expected to pass. Luckily, it will only affect bikes constructed in 2011 and later. They will be required to have stock exhaust. Take a moment and look up Senate Bill 435.

The previous iteration of the bill would have required stock exhaust systems on all motorcycles constructed on or after Jan. 1, 2000. ๐Ÿ˜

mass has something similar. I got stopped at a MC roadblack last year and one thing they checked was for a stock exhaust, I also saw the inspection guy turn away a harley w loud pipes...I have a stock exhasut on both my bikes

people will keep putting on what ever exhaust they want , passing a law is one thing , enforcing it is another , this is america and americans dont like to be told what to do because they are supposed to be free and are sick of being over taxed to compensate for the blunders of the gov. , if your not running down residential streets WOT you wont be causing anybody any greif

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

what he said; the AMA is still fighting the bill... I think technically it is calling for an EPA sticker affixed to the exhaust (which would not be possible with most current aftermarket pipes, especially the loud ones they are targeting)

Hey- trail riders have been fighting noise for a long time now, and riders kept snubbing their nose... it's America... my bike can be as loud as I want... guess what... it IS America, and your straight pipes and unbaffled mufflers just got voted out of business.

Not that I support the law (dB tests were the way to go, if anything) but riders really brought this on other riders... I expect this will apply to cars and trucks too...

maybe I dont live where the loud bike problem is because I only here a loud bike once in a long while and it fades away in seconds , if I had a rude neighbor that reved his loud bike and raced it up and down the street I would ask him not to and to have a little consideration , its kinda like guns dont kill people , people do .... just keep the throttle off the stop in noise sensitive areas ๐Ÿ˜

maybe I dont live where the loud bike problem is because I only here a loud bike once in a long while and it fades away in seconds , if I had a rude neighbor that reved his loud bike and raced it up and down the street I would ask him not to and to have a little consideration , its kinda like guns dont kill people , people do .... just keep the throttle off the stop in noise sensitive areas ๐Ÿ˜

I agree with you about all of what you said except one thing. in my neighborhood when the neighbors cracks up the race bike, the rest of the neighbors crank theirs and its race time....