KLX got the stutters

I just undressed from my riding gear. The bike starts with the button & idles, but when you give gas, she stutters then dies.? I noticed the Odometer does not activate, so I am 99.9% I am looking for an electrical conection. I rode the bike the other day after washing & I noticed a slight burrble but she cleaned up & ran fine. Any idea what connector I'm looking at???? I read about a stator connector on the left side radiator...

Edited by readjw

FIXED IT!!!!! It was the Stator Plug. Some water, not alot. What a shitty design. I noticed the tail light was not luminated along with the odometer. Took it apart, blew it out, plug it back in, started the bike & EVERYTHING WORKED!! Stupid F@#KING Issue ruined my day. All that work getting dressed in gear. At least its not something major...

Can a forum moderator design a STICKY SECTION of Known Issues & fixes or Bike symptoms, known causes & fixes. I am asking because if this information is somewhat centralized maybe it will allow someone to spend less time searching the forums for similar problems and what was done to fix it. That way they can hopefully not miss a ride over a 1 minute fix. Just a thought.

Edited by readjw

I like the idea of wrapping it with an Old Bicycle Tube, Zip-Tying the Tube & sealing the ends with Silicone. The electrical grease is a good thing also. I have the grease, but can not find it & hence, did not put it on. Better yet I may try to Heat Shrink Wrap around it.

Hi, hear it goes,,,, i work at a kawasaki shop in columbia, s.c. I have had my klx for about 2 1/2 years now, take the elec plug,dry it out, put diel grease in the plug, wrap the plug in a lot of elec tape, turn the plug side ways and zip tye it to the frame, you will have a oil leak at your counter shaft seal so look out for that you could lose all your oil and not know it until its to late, your fork seals are going to blow, after you fix the fork seals you need to install the long fork seal savers, install a #48 pilot jet, install a light switch to turn off the light, this will keep your battery fully charged, also remove the ais valve, hope this helps.................

It's funny, I've never had a problem yet with my stator plug, and i wash my bike after almost every ride.... I took it aprt this spring to put some dielectric grease in there just b/c everyone else was having problems, but still hasn't caused me any grief. I am having other messed up electrical issues though.... see new thread.

After riding mine for about 8 mts, i was riding at a motorcycle park stopped at the spray wash to clean my bike before leaving the park and my motor started to squeal, i stopped the motor, restarted it no noise, i cleaned the bike rode to my truck, checked my oil, no oil in site glass, put about 3/4 of a qt in the motor, started the motor and oil pored for behind the cs sprocket, my motor almost seized up, so ck your oil reg, and look for oil leaks,

It's funny, I've never had a problem yet with my stator plug, and i wash my bike after almost every ride.... I took it aprt this spring to put some dielectric grease in there just b/c everyone else was having problems, but still hasn't caused me any grief. I am having other messed up electrical issues though.... see new thread.

I did not put dielectric grease in the plug. I just bought some today. I am repositioning the plug & wrapping it with electrical tape.

After riding mine for about 8 mts, i was riding at a motorcycle park stopped at the spray wash to clean my bike before leaving the park and my motor started to squeal, i stopped the motor, restarted it no noise, i cleaned the bike rode to my truck, checked my oil, no oil in site glass, put about 3/4 of a qt in the motor, started the motor and oil pored for behind the cs sprocket, my motor almost seized up, so ck your oil reg, and look for oil leaks,
I wonder if this is the same problem that plagues the DRZ400, also can plague the KLX. There is enough torque on the sprocket to rock it back and forth on the splines which wears the spacer enough to loosen everything up. The locktite fills the spaces and prevents the sprocket moving on the splines. RED LOCTITE is the fix for the DRZ. Its something i'll watch. Edited by readjw