DRZ OEM speedo acting up.

i rode my Z pretty hard this weekend and now my display on the speedo keeps resetting on me. i checked the plug and its good. Maybe i got water in it, i don't know. Has anybody else had this problem? If the computer is shot what is the best replacement? thanks mike

i rode my Z pretty hard this weekend and now my display on the speedo keeps resetting on me. i checked the plug and its good. Maybe i got water in it, i don't know.

Unplug the speedo and check the voltage from the red wire to the black/white wire. Even with the ignition off, you should see 12V.

If you see 12V, move the handbars back and forth and see if you lose voltage at any point. Basically, you're checking to see if the wiring harness is getting pinched somewhere.

I am lucky to have some work rite now so i bought the trail tech vapor.

If you prove that the speedo is shot would you send it my way? My plastic screen is all scratched to hell and no matter what I do I can not get the scratches out and they are right above everything so it's a PITA to read anything on the speedo. :cheers:

I will gladly pay for shipping just so you know. 😏

And yes, SteelRain is talking about the cable that drives the speedo. 😏

BTW are you having any electrical problems as well? Slow or draging starter that will just barely start the bike? If so check out the FAQ and test your electrial system just to be sure.

Edited by Jeff_in_RC
Just thought of this.

Unplug the speedo and check the voltage from the red wire to the black/white wire. Even with the ignition off, you should see 12V.

If you see 12V, move the handbars back and forth and see if you lose voltage at any point. Basically, you're checking to see if the wiring harness is getting pinched somewhere.

good idea. thanks

If you prove that the speedo is shot would you send it my way? My plastic screen is all scratched to hell and no matter what I do I can not get the scratches out and they are right above everything so it's a PITA to read anything on the speedo. :cheers:

I will gladly pay for shipping just so you know. 😏

And yes, SteelRain is talking about the cable that drives the speedo. 😏

BTW are you having any electrical problems as well? Slow or draging starter that will just barely start the bike? If so check out the FAQ and test your electrial system just to be sure.

if its shot i will let you pay for the shipping. the screen will is excellent. no, no other problems just speed o keeps resetting. i took it apart, no water no cold solder joints, no corrosion, but i will look at it some more, then make my conclusion.

if its shot i will let you pay for the shipping. the screen will is excellent. no, no other problems just speed o keeps resetting. i took it apart, no water no cold solder joints, no corrosion, but i will look at it some more, then make my conclusion.

Thanks measlymike! 😏 I will be standing by.

• 4 weeks later...

So did you ever figure out the problem with your speedo? Was it pinched wires or??

I am now having problems with my display.

I was riding the other day parked it, and now the display back light lights up but I get no display....

I checked the speedo cable it spins fine.....no other electrical problems

I am now having problems with my display.

I was riding the other day parked it, and now the display back light lights up but I get no display....

I checked the speedo cable it spins fine.....no other electrical problems

i replaced mine with the vapor......took it apart and found no obvious problems...