headlight wiring harness

i have an 82 yamaha seca xj 750 with wiring issues for the headlight and aux light and turn signals ,, i want to build a harness for the headlights , does any one have any ideas or diagrahms on how to do this , i know i have to have a relay , i would like to tap into the exsisting switch or add a new one ive tested and tested and no results so just want to bypass and build new harness for just the lights ,, cant afford to have the whole bike rewired ,,, thanks

Congrats............you have one of the few models I have no tech data for. It's very possible you might find something out there on the web if you do a search for "Seca 750 wiring" or something like that.

If you're patient, you can follow and ring wires until you you've located all the associated wires and begin your new sub-harness that way. If you're picky, it is most likely worthwhile ordering the correct or even updated terminals and connector blocks for a real sano installation. Back in those days you never knew what you'd see make to make, model to model. They were just coming out of the bullet-connector days of the '70s, and experimented w/ some connector standards that weren't always an improvement.

Yamaha engineers also seemed to get paid by the component in those days (1980s) so you may find yourself doing some tail-chasing if there are questionable/inop relays/etc in the circuit. The XS 650s were notorious for corroded terminals on their fuse blocks and myriad of relays for their "reserve headlight" system.