Valves

04 and 05. In 06 they improved the seat material and again in 08. Not all early models had issues with the valves. On any year it all depends on how hard you run the bike and how well you maintained it...cleaned the air filter, changed oil. I have a 06 and the OEM valves still have not moved.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to find a thread to post this Q. What do ya's think of that 7ft/lbs on the valve cover?

I just bought a PRISTINE '06 250x. I mean, like new! The previous owner said he changed the oil, but didn't touch the valves. Not knowing the actual hours, I decided to be on the safe side and have a look.

R Exhaust 11

L Exhaust 12

R Intake 5

L Intake 4

Am I OK? According to the manual, I'm right there.

Anyway, I got a little scarey with that 7ft/lbs torque on the valve cover.

Seems like a drop more than finger tight. Not knowing, I would have hand tightened those nuts way more with a plain socket.

Also, I measured the intakes from the rear side. I couldn't get my tool in from the front.

Does it matter which way you crack the motor to line it up?

TIA,

TomJV

Stay within the specs on the tightenening torque for the valve covers. If you break one of those caps on the head they cannot be purchased seperately. You need to repair it (which can be next to impossible) or buy a new head. I am sure you could go a bit higher in torque but not worth the risk IMO. A 1/4" drive torque wrench would be easier to set that value but a 3/8" drive with an adaptor will work.

Yes, you are OK. As you note, your numbers are in spec. Checking the intakes from the rear is fine. The cover bolts don't need much torque since all they are doing is holding the cover on. I've always found it kinda tricky to putting the cover back on without the seal falling off. And it's kinda tough getting it lined up right over the spark plug seal.

Edited by 99klr250
Doh! Grammar correction

11, 12, 5 ,4 are fine , button it up and go ride. Learn to use feel and small tools for those small fasteners. Torque wrenches have way too big and long of handles that give no feel and can easily overdo it. Have a drawer full of them and seldom pull one out for a bike job.