First Clutch Bike for Small Kid

Hi guys (gals, etc.)

A friend of mine is looking for a ride for his kid, who just got bitten by the bike bug. The kid is a newbie, having ridden just a couple of times on a recent vacation. The bike he was on had a clutch, so my friend wants to keep him on a clutch bike. Here's the thing, though -- the kid is fairly small: 4'7" and 75 lbs., even though he's 12 years old.

We live in California, so red sticker is an issue. They will be strictly trail riders, not burning up a track.

I put the kid on my godson's crf80 and he's half up on tip toes. He can pick up the 80 from a fallen position with some difficulty.

Any ideas other than the 80? I tend to be fairly conservative on first bikes for kids, wives and girlfriends, preferring something undersized for them to learn on.

Finally, they're not looking to buy anything new, since there are three of them.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated, thanks!

I am guessing they aren't looking at a 2t ­čśĆ haha

A 4 stroke 80 is a good bike to learn on and has a clutch. That was my first bike to learn clutch on except it was old and a XR ! haha great bike though. Doesn't have the same kick as its 2 stroke counter part:ride:

• 1 month later...

an 85 for sure...set the sag and then take the staples out of the seat cover...cut the foam thin..then sand the foam down...throw your seat cover in the dryer till its nice n hot and then stretch it back over the seat and staple it...Voila! lower seat height and a bike that he can get good on!

an 85 for sure...set the sag and then take the staples out of the seat cover...cut the foam thin..then sand the foam down...throw your seat cover in the dryer till its nice n hot and then stretch it back over the seat and staple it...Voila! lower seat height and a bike that he can get good on!

Thats a preety good idea too. Just make sure the kid takes it slow at first the 85 will make him a better rider in the long run.

I don't see how it is nonsense lol.. he will probably have more fun on it and it makes you a better rider cause you have to learn to clutch and shift very well

it's not nonsense.. 2 strokes are lighter weight, and have a lower CG.. two things really important to a smaller rider.