wheelies for dummies??

i have a 2007 drz400sm 3x3 jetted and a full yoshi exhaust. everything else is stock. anyway.....i would consider myself a decent rider and ive been riding for years but never tried to wheelie till i got my drz. not that this is an accomplishment but i've gotten to the point where i can pop it up in 1st and 2nd pretty comfortable but cant seem to stay at balance point. my question is....what is the easies type of wheelie to do that will help me gain control and balance? just sitting on the bike and trying to control is in 1st? or (i cut a hole in my rear fender) doing a standup? although i havent tried it yet it feels like a slow standup wheelie would be easier then actually sitting on the seat but maybe im wrong?

i know it takes alot of practice but i would like to learn slower control wheelies rather that shifter wheelies. any help would be greatly appreciated

Depends. I usually do sit downs on my DRZ, clutched up from 2nd but I do stand ups on my R1, sometimes clutched from 2nd, sometimes bounced. Depends.

For one thing, lower your gearing a little and the bike will come up easier and be easier to control, no matter which method (clutch or bounce) you use. I've got an S, running 14/47 and I clutch it up in 2nd around 15mph and can usually find the BP pretty quickly....never sure how fast I'm going tho once I get to BP, my speedo reads zero once the front wheel stops spinning.

i ve watched that video a bunch of times. he is pretty good but those are more fast shifter wheelies. i'd like to learn 1st or 2nd gear slower balance point wheelies where im not gonna fall doing 40mph. im just not sure the easiest way to learn. i tried to stand on the back foot peg and one foot on the brake and that seems kinda awkward. i gotta just try it. im a little hesitant because the other day i popped it up in first and didnt hit the back brake fast enough and the bike came all the way back. luckily somehow i jumped off and managed to not let go of the handle bars and i saved it

you have more balance starting your wheelie in 2nd gear than 1st. Plus 1st gear runs out way to quick so as soon as you bring it up you're looking to shift. Try clutching it up going 15-20 and once you get that down just keep progressing

It all comes down to practice and feel. Experience is the only teacher.

P.S. that youtube guys is pretty legit. He might have edited out the pullups he wasn't too proud of, but everyone of them was spot on. To speak to my point above, those were probably wheelies 12,349-12,370 for him.

what im trying to figure out is what is the easiest way to lear to wheelie. clutch ups in 2nd and keep shifting? that seems dangerous for someone that is starting out wheelieng? or is it better to try to clutch up 1st and try to slow wheelie using the rear brake? thanks

I'm of the mind that a 2nd gear clutch wheelie at low speed is the best way to wheelie. If you have to rev it out or shift, then you aren't at the BP. 1st gear is too short and can be too easy to loop. Cover your back brake either way.

form my experience 2nd gear is the easiest to control. it might be a little bit scary to someone just starting to learn cuz your usually doing about 20mph but the BP feels a lot bigger and easier to find than first gear. plus the faster you go forward, the more your foward momentum keeps the front end from coming up too high and looping.

i just did a bunch more practice. im getting the hang of consistently clutching the bike up in first and getting to the balance point. i dont last very long, but i get there. when trying to clutch up in 2nd its just seems harder to me to get near bp. maybe because im about 250lbs i almost way as much as the bike.

I found the best trick is to sit right at the back of the seat. It gives the front end an easier time of coming up and you have more control if things go too far!! I also found it easier to use less throttle/revs than you'd think and give the clutch a quick fan. I use third on my E but 2nd would the go on your SM.

Once you master it you won't wanna stop!!!

The DRZ400 is a harder dirt bike to wheelie than most mx / dirt bikes and certainly the DR250/350. The balance point is "way" up there!

Get a CRF100 or TTR125 to practice your balance point and then when you are ok at holding the balance point and shifting you can practice using the rear brake to control / hold the point with out having to always speed up.

I find that slower wheelies ie; 1st gear are definately harder as the bike is less stable. Not onlly are you trying to control the front end but also trying to prevent the bike falling left or right. Think of it as similar to trying to keep a bike upright at walking pace - bikes are more stable with a bit of speed. Once you start revving 2nd gear out, roll off the throttle a bit and change up to third. I don't use the clutch - some do. The easiest way to learn for me is to keep the front up with more and more throttle and up change. Once this starts coming together you might find it easier to find the true balance point and maintain a constant throttle perfect wheelie.

Good luck