XR50 long travel forks....which ones?

I am getting new forks, but I don't know which I shoudl get. I heard lots of up's and down's about all of them, and I jsut want to here personal opnions

Options:

Hanebrink (w/ disk rom pax)

Pax Marazzhochi (w/ disk)

Fast50s

Sano/bombshells

BBR Xr70 forks

The new classic forks (if anyone has info)

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

definitly go with the bombshells! they are easily the best forks out right now. i just got some last weekend, they are unbelievable! super light, adjustable rebound, 6" travel, and they are really plush, but they refuse to bottom! ive been bottoming my ishock regularly since i got these( from going bigger than usual), but the forks will not! they are AWSOME! well worth the money. 🙂

definitly go with the bombshells! they are easily the best forks out right now. i just got some last weekend, they are unbelievable! super light, adjustable rebound, 6" travel, and they are really plush, but they refuse to bottom! ive been bottoming my ishock regularly since i got these( from going bigger than usual), but the forks will not! they are AWSOME! well worth the money. 🙂

But I hear everyone tell me that they aren't as good as everyone seems to make them. they say that the ass-kissing to sano is unbelievable. i dont know though, i was thinking b-shells myself, too!

I will tell you others have good forks out there but I havent ridden anything that is at the top of its game like the Sano Bombshells. People like Sano stuff because it is race proven and built by racers. It is Top of the line.

If it is all over the magazines and big companies other then Sano are running them then that might answer your question on how good they are!

Just remember forks are a preference and you need the ones that will work for you.

Later Atom RoTTeN

I will tell you others have good forks out there but I havent ridden anything that is at the top of its game like the Sano Bombshells. People like Sano stuff because it is race proven and built by racers. It is Top of the line.

If it is all over the magazines and big companies other then Sano are running them then that might answer your question on how good they are!

Just remember forks are a preference and you need the ones that will work for you.

Later Atom RoTTeN

Atom, considering your affiliation with Sano, is it possible that you might be a little biased? Not trying to bust your chops, but I think that this is a fair question...

Bryan

We have to fully agree with Bryan on that one. Anyone reading this post should not buy any fork assembly for there xr50 till they are able to ride a bike "similar" to there own bike with the specific fork set your looking at buying. But do not stop there guys and gals, test other forks as well. Because while the xr50 is the coolest bike around, the stock forks totally stink. And anything (ANYTHING) works better than the stock set up. Test and then test another type your interested in and really see what works for you and your needs. You will find what is best for you pretty easily we are sure. -Fast50s!!

I agree with Fast50s and Bryan on this that is why I said forks are a preference. Everyone has a set up out there and by no way was I trying to make sales Craig at Fast50s and many other guys like Sik50, PAX, Hanebrink out there have good stuff too. That is why I said forks are a perefence you need to get the ones that work for you!

Hope you didnt take my post wrong Bryan and Fast50s

Later Atom RoTTeN

I also heard that the rear hub doesn't fit right with a super pro frame. that it doesn't turn or something liek that, and when you get the rear hub the bolts are loctited in. MY friend said he had to use an easy out cuz he didn't want to heat it up alot with a torch.

The only thing on bombshells, is that I am not to keen on the air dampening. will they rebound fast enoguh to hammer whoops?

Hane brinks forks are ugly

sik50 forks aren't my forté

Fast50s forks are nice, and I would gladly buy them, except I have heard of leaking problems, being REALLY stiff, and for $800 4inches of travel isn't alot. will fast50s have a disk setup soon?

Pax forks--they aren't on their site anymore??

I like upside down forks!! 🙂

I would wait for the classic forks to come out. They are supposed to be very good. And its not like you cant wait until the 22nd when the debut. Wouldnt want you to spend 1000$ on bombshells then the classic forks come out and u want them. That is a waste of money.

Isn't white brothers making a front set up as well.

I'm hanging in there with hopes of competition for the Sano. Then maybe they'll lower the price to just an arm OR a leg.. not both.

Also, I too have never have been much a fan for air dampening. I'm a fan of open-oil bath's. Maybe Marzocchi will jump on the band wagon too??

Or.. maybe I won't be able to wait any longer and this addiction will force me to buy the Sano's. They sure LOOK trick

haha...i like how you highlighted "LOOK"

Marrazochi is on the band wagon with their KTM forks from pax.

White bros were supposed to have forks come out, have't heard anything. They are taking too long, so heck with them. They want $1000 price range for them and they don' even have a disk. But they do have fork guards and they look BEEEEFY! so i dunno..maybe i will have to wait. Depends what the new classics are like. They better LOOK good and PERFORM better

Stratos Innovation Suspension is getting ready to introduce their new 50 forks. I know because I've been helping them develope them. Talk about sweet! full oil bath cartridge type dampning, externally adjustable compression, rebound and pre-load, leading axle, fits stock hub and a disc option is in the works. e-mail me for more info. They also have an insane rear shock that's just now out. I am going to try and get to El Cajon this Wed. night. I have one on my little stocker if anyone wants to check it out.

SWEET!!! I was planning on heading out there to El Cajon anywayz tomorrow. I hope you go... as I am definitely interested in them.

I saw some details on the Stratos that "intothumpin" sent me in an e-mail. Pretty sweet looking!

They have 35mm stanchions and they are a Full Oil type system with a "Re-valveable & rebuildable cartridge".

intothumpin..... are these an "open air/oil bath"... or a sealed cartridge.

Also.. more info about the schock plz. How much travel... how much increase in ride height. Do you have to bend the frame etc...

the Stratos shock has a full 3" of stroke and comes in two lengths 250mm I2I and 263mm I2I (for ref. stock is 240mm I2I). the ride height change is 1" for the 250mm and aprox. 1-1/2 to 1-5/8" for the 263mm. They have a 14mm Hard Chromed & Ground steel shaft. Hard Anodized Housing and they are user rebuildable and re-valvable, w/remote reservoir. External rebound & compression adjustments on the Pro version and rebound only on the Free ride model. No frame mods needed for those of us under 200lbs with stock swingarms. longer swingarm or heavier riders will require heavier spring and slight mod to frame for spring clearance.

Forks are inverted (upside down)open oil bath w/cartridge dampning very similar to the kayaba units on Yamaha's YZ's. 35mm Black Hard Anodized Stanchions w/over 8" of bearing overlap, again they are user rebuildable & revalvable. They have a 3 spring stack in each leg, that allows for a huge range of spring rate combinations, you can make finite changes to the spring rate by changing one or more spings from the stack at a time. plus there is an external pre-load adjuster. very sweet package. I am testing the Pro Model shock on my bike and this thing is incredible. I'm hoping to have the forks in less than two weeks. I will be at El Cajon Wednesday night if you want to check it out. I am looking for rider feedback.

So these are designed for MTB's?? The did not notice the site saying anything about 50's, just MTB's.

No, these are not off the shelf MTB forks. I have worked with Stratos for quite a while. I know the quality of their product so I approached him with the idea of building a fork for the mini's. This is a joint venture between Stratos and myself, Stratos is not marketing these direct, Stavron Motorsports will be marketing these to the motorcycle industry. What we have done is we started with their best downhill mtb fork (the S-8 Ultra) which is very highly rated. Then we literally redesigned it around the needs and size of the little XR. It shares only internal valving, tube diameters, seals & technology with it's MTB brother, which by the way is more closely related to true (big bike) motocross forks than to anything else on the MTB market. You can not take these tubes and fit them to a MTB or fit the MTB tubes to the mini's. they just don't fit.

Same thing with the shock, it is designed exclusively for the XR50. This version is not available to the MTB guys and none of the MTB units will fit this application. We do have models to fit the klx/Drz110's.