how long should a practice moto last?

I race a couple times a month. I am trying to practice 1-2 times a month. My race moto's are typicaly 8-10 minutes long, except at an oldtimer national last weekend they went 15 minutes plus one lap. I was toast by the end. I am going to practice for 2-3 hours tonight after work at a friends track and was thinking about putting a cheap watch on my bars so i could force myself to ride until my set time is up. How long is to long though? I dont want to pull off when i get tired, i want to push it so a moto seems short compared to my practice routine.

I would suggest a 25 minute ride to prepare for a 15 minute and one lap moto. It's longer than the race but you won't be able to duplicate certain factors such as nerves and other riders and such. I've been racing in one hour plus one lap cross country races. That wears me out. I feel like falling asleep on the finish line. It's a blast though and it's really helped my endurance at the MX tracks. Don't over-do it though. It's not worth getting hurt over. I'm sure you have to work the day after your race.

That's just my dumb@$$ $.02 worth.

You definitely should push yourself, but at the same time you don't want to get yourself hurt from trying to ride when maybe you should take a break. Just be smart about it, you know your body's limits, just work your way into longer practices a little at a time. Just like runners, they don't just go out and run a marathon, they run shorter distances and build their endurance to then push it a little farther each time.

You could always do this-

Practice moto= real moto x2

once you're fatigued- work on different sections, don't pull of, just take it easy through all but one section of the track. So say, corners 1 through 3 you practice hard, then the rest of the track take it easy, next lap work corners 3 through 5, etc.

I'm not very aggressive or anything, but I usually ride for 2 hrs straight before I pull off for a break (I wear my camelpak). That said, I did do long distance track & field and cross country in high school.

I still think I get more out of practicing sections then I do just burning laps. I get my endurance training in at the gym, and I do ride laps, but I spend more time drilling corners and working different lines thru the same section over and over till I am nailing, then I go and start stringing laps together.

Well, what is it that's keeping you from winning your races? Your practice should target your weak points.

If you typically lead the race and then fade and fall back through the pack then you need to work on your pacing and endurance. Practice 10 min. motos until you can run them at full tilt and then start increasing the time.

If on the other hand you rarely get to the front of the pack you need to work on your speed. Practice corners, track sections and do one lap sprints.

If it's frequent crashing that holds you back you need to practice slowing down and staying in control.

Let me say it again: design your practice around your weak points and your race results will follow.

i practise 1-2 hours a day, i have my own track. I start slow and get my lines and my mind right then pick the pace up to full speed. Its around 90-100 degrees here in GA and after a hour im toasted, then ill come in and poor cold water on me and sit down for bout 30 min the go back out.

I race a couple times a month. I am trying to practice 1-2 times a month. My race moto's are typicaly 8-10 minutes long, except at an oldtimer national last weekend they went 15 minutes plus one lap. I was toast by the end. I am going to practice for 2-3 hours tonight after work at a friends track and was thinking about putting a cheap watch on my bars so i could force myself to ride until my set time is up. How long is to long though? I dont want to pull off when i get tired, i want to push it so a moto seems short compared to my practice routine.

If you did 15 and 1 at an Old Timer International race, then you must be riding 40-70+ novice or 60-70+ ama., exp. or master. If your normal race motos are only 8-10 mins. with the occasional longer moto International race, then a bunch of 25 min. practice sessions is not really necessary. If you have the stamina for it, then go for it. Otherwise, you'd be better off for now to practice like a race day with a bit more time on the track.

I race 40 ama. with the So Cal OT's and we go 14-15 mins. per moto at our local races. When I practice, I'll usually do a 10-15 min. warm up session, then two or three 15-20's. I'll break for a half hour to an hour between depending on how long it takes to rehydrate and feel rested enough to go again. You could start out doing the same and work up to longer sessions as you improve your stamna.

This has always been enough for me, but the trouble I have is I don't ride as hard and fast as when I'm racing so I'm not really pushing myself in the 10-20 mins. I'm on the track. It's like if there's nothing to win, I just cruise. On race day though, it's game on and I attack the track much more aggressively. I still do well enough though and my fastest lap times are usually in the middle to the end of the moto when most others are fading.

I take it you just went to the Washougal race?

I didn't get to go, but the guys in my chapter that went said the track was pretty tough. The OT Internationals are always tougher than a local race, you're supposed to be wiped out at the end, LOL!

Did you do all 5 motos? ๐Ÿ˜

Yup washougal, and i race the 30+ C class. It was tough but thats washougal, im kinda used to it i guess. That place will wear you out! I did do all 5 moto's, plus 2 practice moto's both days. Pretty good track time for $80. I am going to nevada in september i hope! I did a local race this weekend and was not even winded at the end of the last moto (4 moto day). I did practice laps after racing was done, i think half my problem is washougal track itself is very draining.

Did you ride with the rest of the support guys, or did the Oregon OTMX add seperate 30+ classes at their race?

I would like to hit Fernley, but I'm still mending a torn ACL/MCL/Meniscus, I don't think I want put my knee through five motos and two practices yet. LOL! Two motos at Glen Helen yesterday was bad enough! ๐Ÿ˜:cheers:๐Ÿ˜

So is there a 30+ club like Vet-X or the Over The Hill Gang like we have, up there? There's a proposal going to the IOTMX congress to expand membership to 30 and over. I personally don't like the idea, but I guess if there's no other option for some of the other areas, maybe it could be a good thing. Just curious, would you join the Old Timers if they opened it to 30+?

yup, 30+ guys get there own moto. Support is considered 29 and below. I am a member of the old timers. You cant race the oregon national unless you are a member. You dont have to be 40+ to join. I go to oldtimer only practices as well, they rent out the local tracks, it makes for a nice practice when everyone there is an oldtimer. I dont know of any vet-x or OTHG up here? I just hang out with the oregon IOTMX guys.

Oh.......OK, cool. I knew there were chapters that had 30+ classes, didn't know Oregon was one, but it's something those chapters do on their own outside of the IOTMX structure, most chapters are still 40+. I heard one chapter calls them 'Young Timers', LOL, is that Oregon?

The proposal is to make it 30+ across the board for all chapters. If you guys don't have other avenues for vet racing, then it's good the Oregon chapter can fill that void. There's so many opportunities here in So Cal for vet clubs and separate vet motos at various races that it's not really needed in our area.

As far as practicing goes, if you're in your 30's, you should be able to kick up your session times a bit more than I thought. Outside of support, under the IOTMX rules only the older and slower classes have 15 min. motos at a typical IOTMX race. I thought that's where you were in the grand scheme of things, my bad. ๐Ÿ˜

On that note.........so, you young whipper snappers only got 15 mins. huh? ๐Ÿ˜

i practise 1-2 hours a day, i have my own track. I start slow and get my lines and my mind right then pick the pace up to full speed. Its around 90-100 degrees here in GA and after a hour im toasted, then ill come in and poor cold water on me and sit down for bout 30 min the go back out.

That is what I did the other day before I left for vacation when I rode in the heat and pushed myself to ride hard fast motos to almost come accustomed to pushing your body.

I raced at that race (the Washougal OTMX Natl.) also. I'm sooooo grateful the weather wasn't hot; I too was toast at the end of Sunday's last moto..... ๐Ÿ˜

Personally, I can't ride near as often as I'd like to. Bike maintanance expenses, time, work, other commitments & such kinda keep that from happening. One thing that has sorta helped me out, sorta, was the fact that my cholesterol level got a little high. My dr. told me that he'd keep me off the pills (Lipitor, or whatever...) if I would bring my level down thru diet & exercise. I did a half hour of cardio almost every night for 3 months, watched my diet a little more, and brought my c-level down 40 points. But the cool thing was the benefit of the cardio & other exercises. They helped a tremendous amount for the race at Boise, and at Washougal.

I don't believe there's any real substitute for seat time, but doing some exercisin' will definitely help for those that may not be able to ride as much as they need to, like myself......

Jimmie