2003 wr250 weight

The June 2001 issue of Dirt Bike puts the 2001 WR250F at 239 lbs. (2002 is almost identical to the 2001)

My May 2003 issue of Dirt Rider puts the 2003 WR250F at 251 lbs

Thats a 11 lbs more for electric start. Stock seat and tank are better for 2003. 2003 also got an auto-decompression system. The seat, tank and e-cam can be upgraded on the 2002.

The biggest difference is the electric start: Do you need/want it?

one pound. The 03 is a pound heavier but feels way lighter due to the new layout.

one pound. The 03 is a pound heavier but feels way lighter due to the new layout.

Looks like my decision between a new '02 WR and a new '03 WR is very close. Looks like about $800 between the 2. So the new layout makes that much difference? I am really torn cause I know that $800 could go along ways towards add ons. ( Although the '03 would still get the same add ons ) E Start, Ergos, Yr Newer worth the $800....??? I know this has been asked before but wanting to get as much input as possible. ?

Off Topic:

Yamafreek, why do you use 12/48 gearing which is the same ratio as stock 13/52? Just want a smaller rear sprocket?

Yes,

Tossed the stock heavyweight sproket for the lightweight aluminum. And the clerance in the rocks. I actualy run a 12/49.

Outstanding website Rick

Don't forget with that extra ~12 lbs difference for the e-start, you'll also have less air since the air box lid can not be tossed due to the battery being there. For me, if I had the same choice, I don't need the e-start - just more things to break/maintain. The ergo for the 03 is nice to have though, move around better in the saddle if you plan on racing in and out of corners a lot - trail riding is no problem with the 02...

For $800, you can get the e-cam (~$115 from Bardwell Yamaha) and still have $685 left over for other goodies - you'll get some add-ons for sure, silencer, guards, suspension, gear, something - we all do... ?