Electronic traction control for dirt bikes

I was reading the Honda article in mxa and when asked what some new advancement may be in the future he mentioned a form of traction control if I remember correct. I think this would be awesome for off road bikes more and two strokes even more. Plus this seems like some thing that can be dome IMO That we can maybe see in near future. What you guys think? I think I would be awesome to have in slick conditions

I'd rather go with the Christini 2wd kit. I don't care for any sort of electronic or mechanical torque management or throttle control. It doesn't go over very well in the eyes of auto enthusiasts and I doubt it will go over very well for dirt bike enthusiasts either. I know how much gas I wanna give it, and I certainly don't want the computer to decide I've given it too much just because the wheel is spinning. I will have to check for this article to see what angle they are approaching it with though. Could be interesting, at least.

Lol I guess the jury is in. I still think It would help in certain conditions but like I said I don't think I would want it for the mx track. If they add it it need to put a on off switch. The article is the interview with the developer of the crf 450. It's just a brief one

You guys are looking too low tech or too much the consumer crap in cars that is safety oriented. Look to moto GP or World Superbike technology. Traction control doesn't mean no wheelspin. It means another tool for making quicker laps. You are already starting to see some of this with EFI maps. Wait until we get GPS based suspension that knows where the obstacles are on the track and constantly changes the valving real time.

Rumors back a few years claimed the later models of Honda 2-strokes might have had some sort of traction control. This might have been something simple or primitive but, I have never seen anything to prove it. Now when one of the magazines asked Honda about this they would not comment and avoided the question, it is illegal to have traction control in AMA motocross. Who knows but a lot of riders thought the CR tracked better than the rest of the bikes they tested. I need to go dig up that article.

this is a well timed article for me to read, i was just talking about traction control in cars with my brother as i was dropping him at a friends house in my moms volvo, i always switch off the traction control i hate it, i prefer having full control over the vehicle my first car didnt have traction control and neither does my montero so i just prefer not having it, feels more in control, mind u i have been saved my traction control before in my friends gti, went around a bend at like 70 mph and there was a bump the threw the back end out, very scary stuff.

but for dirtbikes traction control would kill half the fun

In my experience traction control in cars does okay in the minor stuff, but if you get in something really sloppy it can get a bit strange and even disabling. It took me an hour just to make it one block from my house to a more traveled street when we had that snow a couple of years ago. I had worn tires and a car that was low to the ground trying to get through a foot of freshly fallen snow (we rarely get snow here).

OTOH, it might work in some situations.

You do already have traction control - it is called the throttle grip. I ride rather sedately and slow, but there was at least one interesting trail where I followed a couple of guys who went ripping down it at speed and I just followed at my own pace. Several times they took the 'when in doubt power out' approach to a problem section and got stuck while I rode through at a slower pace without drama. I think that there are times when many riders just feel they need to have that rear wheel spinning and the bike revving or they aren't really riding. To each their own, but I wish they wouldn't tear up the trails so much.

I'd rather go with the Christini 2wd kit. I don't care for any sort of electronic or mechanical torque management or throttle control. It doesn't go over very well in the eyes of auto enthusiasts and I doubt it will go over very well for dirt bike enthusiasts either. I know how much gas I wanna give it, and I certainly don't want the computer to decide I've given it too much just because the wheel is spinning. I will have to check for this article to see what angle they are approaching it with though. Could be interesting, at least.

The Christini kit does have a form of traction control - it only engages if the rear spins a certain percentage - so in that sense it adds traction.

That said, I want the kit too - the don't make it - yet - for my bike. I am keeping my thumbs crossed because there are several times during each ride where I wished I had it to get through something tough.

What is coming is a simple ignition retard that slows down the rate at which the rear tire is accelerating based on predetermined formulas that recognize uncontrolled wheel spin. No wheel sensors are even needed.

It will be a significant improvement in bike control and it will come w/ an on/off switch as well.

Maybe a button to wipe your butt also? It's just another thing to make up for lack of skill. Waaaaa, I don't know how to jet a carb - here's FI. Waaaa, I don't know how to control my bike with the throttle - here's traction control. Maybe you need a handlebar mount for a box of Kleenex to wipe you sniveling nose. Learn to work on and ride your bike; you don't need any of that crap. ­čśĆ