Sign in to follow this  

Just picked up an 08 today what do you guys think?

the last time i went out for a ride on my 03 i made the decision it was time to get a new bike...

100_1242.jpg

100_1241.jpg

after a few searches on craigslist i came across this

guy "said" has low hours, new piston, while he had it there was no valvetrain rebuilt. got it for $3050 good deal or not? i bring up the valvetrain because it seems that the head casting does not directly line up with the cylinder casting for some reason

100_1251.jpg

100_1248.jpg

also after riding my 03 the power on the 08 seems more spread out any comments on that?

08 is a great bike! low hours? thats in the eye of the beholder! looks like some hours on there. but i guess 3gs is not bad.

Oh sweet mate! looks good.

But one thing I dont understand is, if its got low hours, why did it need a new piston?

there are deffinatly some hours.. bike sounds good, everything seems solid, wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, and drives well, transmition shifts different than my 03, but i wasnt riding with boots on lol

didnt come with empty box the guy said he has it done, also said it had about 40 hours? i mean it depents on who rode it for 40 hours, you can beat a bike hard or you can drive it fast and senably lol

If I were you I'd go all the way down to the piston and check to make sure EVERYTHING is in spec.

Serious!?? Na way! Stuff that! Why would you want to do that to an 2008 model!?

If the bike runs fine, goes hard, just Ride it! Dont fix it if its not broken. If any problems arise, then look into it.:smirk:

& Pica, WOW..... 476 posts in one month since you joined!!? Wow..... You've nearly caught up to me & Ive been on for 6 years...

Ok I wont say what Im thinking........:smirk:

im just a worrier about my bikes, i want to know that all is well with them, everything seems great any tips on tuning the 08? will my fmf slip on from my 03 fit? are the forks and rear shock interchangable? are the 08 forks better? how can i really tell how many hours are on it?

i dought the pipe and forks will work. this is what i would do to inspect a bike, pull the clutch cover off cheak the basket for groves. pull the valve cover off cheak valves ,inspect valve buckets and cam for wear. its prety quick and easy.

Serious!?? Na way! Stuff that! Why would you want to do that to an 2008 model!?

If the bike runs fine, goes hard, just Ride it! Dont fix it if its not broken. If any problems arise, then look into it.:smirk:

& Pica, WOW..... 476 posts in one month since you joined!!? Wow..... You've nearly caught up to me & Ive been on for 6 years...

Ok I wont say what Im thinking........:smirk:

I would! Like he said, 40 hours could mean nothing if it was lightly trail ridden, but if it was hardcore raced, then 40 hours could mean the end of that piston. It hurts nothing to check and doesn't take that long.

Also, holy crap, I had no clue how many posts I had haha. I'm not even on here that much. Few times a day, and I guess I just post a bunch in those few times haha.

did you check the valves?

it's one of the first things i do when i buy a used bike.

i did 3000 for my 08 crf450r limited edition. where in kentucky you live?

well ill tell you a story about my day...

i decided to go out on the 08 today for the first real ride and i loved it. but i had one issue, the fing mechanic who the old owner paid to put a new piston in it right befor i got it didnt tighten the cam sprocket bolts on it correctly.:smirk: so as im riding it i hear a weird noise n i stoped the engine once i found it was hard to start.

went to honda and got 2 new bolts and put them in and wala:ride:

i checked timing and it was still on, luckely the one bolt just fell out of the cam while i took the head cover off and the other was a little less than finger tight. close call! $6 for each bolt! i tightened them to 15 ft lbs and put her back together to find out there was no damage done, of course this is after pulling left crankcase cover off and geting metal shavings out because the cam gear dug into the head cover a little bit. i looked into spark plug hole with a diognotic camera my friend had to find no piston the valve contact THANK GOD!:smirk: the bike ran great after i also changed oil 2 times to make sure all alluminum metal shavings were gone

maybe too tight maybe to loose i couldnt tell you. you should invest in a torque wrench it will save you alot of trouble.