Total noob here with a clutch question...

I just recently picked up a 96 KX250. I had to replace the clutch lever and the front sprocket. I accomplished both. I got on the bike and fired it and let it warm up a bit, Now mind you when I say noob, i mean this is the second time Ive ever even sat on a bike. Today was the first time I had ever rode if you want to call almost crashing into my fence riding lmao Any way on to my question.

The first time I put the bike in first gear while still holding the clutch it actually crept forward and died. After that it wasnt as bad, but you could hear a slight drag on the engine with first gear engaged.Yet the clutch seems to be grabbing close to the end of the lever travel? When idling with the clutch in, it makes kind of a rattle/ knock noise. Any ideas?

This is common. Nothing to worry about. Now your clutch basket might have grooves in it and causes the thing to drag more than usual. Its usual for them creep forward when they first get engaged, because they are not warmed up and slipping like they should be. Its a common pracctice to rev the bike right before you put it in gear to keep the thing from dying, something of a little blip will do really. Probably not a bad idea to turn up the idle just a little though. Is the bike jetted for your area? The noise is just the clutch dragging and clanging because the gear is yet to disengage completely. if you shut the bike off and start it back up it stops. Good luck riding. have fun!

yep!

Also heres a probably should do checklist

1. replace all fluids

2. clean carb

3. buy new/service air filter

4. get a torque wrench and double check all important torques.

5. update jetting

6. check fork/wheel alignment