XT550 Clutch help needed

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and hope some of you guys can help me out with a problem. I'm pretty mechanical with little experience working on motorcycles. I have an '82 XT550 Yamaha with a clutch problem. It was replaced about 6 years ago and whenever I rode it I would need to adjust it to make it disengage after a few miles. I have had the bike stored for the last 5 years and just got it back out. The clutch does not disengage at all now and I can turn the shaft where it goes into the case by hand. Seems like something is not hooked up in there. I would like to do an inspection of the clutch to see if I can spot a problem and would like to know the procedure to do this. I can't seem to find a manual that is free or reasonable and don't want to make the problem worse because I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks in advance for any help.

Smitty

The clutch on my 82 xt550 would “bind” (the clutch plates would stick together) if the bike was not used for a couple of months. This may be your problem now after the storage. The problem you had before may be unrelated.

To “brake” the clutch free I would get the bike hot by idling, then get it moving, shift into second or third gear, pull the clutch and throttle it. Worked every time, I never had to open the engine and manually pry the plates apart.

I think I found the problem. When I pulled the case the nut in the center of the clutch had backed off. I tightened it and now seem to have a clutch again. Will find out tomorrow when I get some more oil. Thanks for the input GU520, if the plates are stuck I will use your info to shake them loose. Thanks for the help guys, I'm a little challenged when it comes to working on bikes.

Thanks Again,

Smitty

I tested the bike today and the clutch is fixed!!!!! It ran a little rough at first but a shot of carb cleaner and it screams again. I can't remember why I put this thing away for so long. It's a blast to ride. Thanks for the help!!!

Smitty