Anything I need to know before pulling left side case?

I'll be repairing, or replacing if necessary, the left side magneto cover tomorrow. I didn't see anytihng in my brief browse of a manual but is there any springs, dowels, etc that may fall out of place and get lost or make it hard to see where and how they go back? I hate those kind of surprises.

read the procedures outlined here;https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634403

and you should be fine.

the gasket can be reused with a thin film of grease applied to both sides.clean the torque limiter cavity and lightly coat the o-ring with motor oil when reinstalling the cover to make things easy.

If the cover won't seem to come free of the starter then take the starter off with the cover. Mine was very stuck. It took clamping the bolt holes of the starter in a vice and some fairly firm rotation of the cover around the axis of the starter to separate them. Anti-seize or grease upon reassembly.

The o-ring on my starter was a bit stretched it seemed. It took of bit of fiddling to get it back together. I'll order a new one next time it comes apart. Also make sure you lay the gasket somwhere nice and flat, my kid grabbed mine set it back down hanging off the edge of the bench and it didn't want to stay in place while messing with that starter o-ring. A new o-ring and flat gasket woulda saved at least 10 minutes of screwing around.

The o-ring on my starter was a bit stretched it seemed. It took of bit of fiddling to get it back together. .

Same here, my starter O-ring was really swolen and was impossible to put back together without ruining it, as much as I tried.

There are 2 thrust washers on the shaft that the idler gear runs on. Keep track of them. Can possibly fall behind the flywheel.

Do the Loctite fixes on the starter clutch bolts and the stator bolts.

noble or anyone else can you confirm the order of these washers. I just had mine apart and the order on my bike was washer, clip, washer, idle gear. in the fiche they show the order as washer, clip, idle gear, washer...#s 1,2 ,3 and 4 in the link below

thanks

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/YearID/49/Year/2008/ModelID/8145/Model/DRZ400S/GroupID/388825/Group/STARTER_CLUTCH_#embedlinks

The washers are both the same size. case, washer, clip, washer, gear is correct. I know it seems odd but that is right. The fiche is wrong. Either way will work as long as a washer on the outer end of the shaft does not drop off and hang up on the smaller shaft diameter.

• Like 1

haha crazy it is odd and I thought it was wierd when I took it apart but I put it back together the same way then went and looked at the fiche and thought crap its wrong....good thing I asked i would have taken it apart and put it back together wrong LOL

thanks

From some of these washer and shaft comments I am thinking the idle gear shaft usually comes off with the cover? Mine stayed in the engine. I don't see as it would matter but if it does let me know and I will locktite it into the left cover.