push starting dirt bike?

ok as ive said before i have no dirt bike experience

ive read things on here about how difficult it can be to kickstart a bike in certain situations

my last bike (before it was stolen) was a honda interceptor it was a 550 pound crotch rocket at one point my battery wasnt holding enough charge to crank the bike , but once it was started it ran fine

out of laziness i left it this way near 2 months and would simply put it in second

gear do my best fred flintstone and pop the clutch worked every time

is there any reason this wouldnt work for a dirtbike?

(for the sake of argument we will say you are attempting this on a level concrete surface)

I do this from time to time on my WR450. But you have to be going a bit faster than you can push it. On dirt the back wheel is just going to slide instead of turn the engine so you jump up on the pegs and drop your weight back on the seat as you drop the clutch. 2nd gear.

I bump-start both my 175's every time I ride them, to save wear and tear on the kickstarter return springs (high-failure items). The only time I use the kickstarter is if I stall in the woods.

I sprint alongside the bike for maybe 30 feet, hop on, stand up, then drop down hard on the seat while shifting up into 2nd gear (not 1st). Sometimes the rear wheel will lock up briefly, but it has always worked for maybe the last 100 times or so. I used to use 1st gear, which mainly just put black rubber marks all over my driveway. ?

Ray

wow i thought dirt bikes were geared lower so you would need even less speed

or a higher gear

on the interceptor it was easiest in 2nd or even 3rd

i was thinking maybe youd need 4th on dirtbike

ill put it bike specific im thinking of getting a xr650r

the interceptor in 6th gear did 105mph at 7000rpm

so im thinking there are final drive ratios that match up some where

the interceptor only needed the speed of a fast walk at best

why would you need such high speed for the dirt bike?

or does this change now that i made it bike specific? xr650r

wow i thought dirt bikes were geared lower so you would need even less speed

or a higher gear

on the interceptor it was easiest in 2nd or even 3rd

i was thinking maybe youd need 4th on dirtbike

ill put it bike specific im thinking of getting a xr650r

the interceptor in 6th gear did 105mph at 7000rpm

so im thinking there are final drive ratios that match up some where

the interceptor only needed the speed of a fast walk at best

why would you need such high speed for the dirt bike?

or does this change now that i made it bike specific? xr650r

The interceptor is a multi cylinder bike, that helps out. With a single, you need 720* of rotation for each firing of the spark plug, with a 4 cylinder with an even firing order, you only need 180* rotation to get 1 of the 4 cylinders to hit the ignition phase.

ok i see the theory behind 1 cylinder vs a 4 cylinder

ive never had a bike that wasnt electric start

im a pretty strong athletic guy is kick starting a bike easier than people make it out to be?

If the bike is in working order (good compression, valves adjusted right, properly jetted) it isn't that big of an issue. The big thumpers like the XR can be a bit of a pain when they're hot/over heated like if you stalled out in a mud hole in tight single track. Under normal conditions, it shouldn't be an issue. The key will be to get into the XR section and read up on what works for guys who already own them.

bumping to restart a stalled bike on a downhill is easy and natural. But dirtbikes tend to end up in mudholes, ditches, or other awkward places where it's hard enough to kick, much less push.

Check this video at around 2:50 and imagine a push-start.

bumping to restart a stalled bike on a downhill is easy and natural. But dirtbikes tend to end up in mudholes, ditches, or other awkward places where it's hard enough to kick, much less push.

Effin, no way!!!! I like hard trails, but that is insane. ?

Damnit!! when is that video going to die??

I used to kick over my 605 all the time, it takes a little knowlege but really isn't all that hard. Make sure you get it to top dead center and when you kick it for real just give her hell and make sure you are committed. Each bike seems to have different preferences as to whether or not they like throttle or there's a specific sequence to follow, or if there's a special dance to do whatever.

Holy crap, I wouldn't even walk there.