Superduty questions?

I did a cursory search of Durangoman's posts, because i know he has had some choice words about his SD in the past, but i couldnt find the answer i was looking for

Which engines are the ones to avoid? -- My brother lost his job (and his company truck) -- therefore is in the market for a truck.

Losing your job is tough for most people, and i advised that instead of taking out a loan for a new truck at 600$+ a month , it might be better to beat the bushes and find one at the bottom of the depreciation cycle, pay cash for it, and keep a couple grand in reserve for repairs.

He legitimately needs a larger truck as he does roofing jobs on the side, and occasionally tows loaded down trailers full of shingles or debris --- now the side job may be front and center for a while.

The 7.3 SD trucks are now in the 8-10 year old range, and while the engines may be fine if they have some miles, the trans and rear end are in line to go ------

He seems to be a Ford fan, but are there any issues with say, a 5 yo D'Max he should know about before tip-toeing into the market?

I have given him use of my chev. 2500 so he doesnt make a hasty decision and takes his time --- he has already noticed the wonderful fuel mileage of the 6.0 Vortech while towing though 😏

Avoid the 6.0. EGR, turbo, head gasket problems. My uncle is the service manager at a large Ford dealer here and says they get 7.3's in there all the time with 400,xxx miles on them with the original motor. Just need to look for one that wasn't abused. As for the 6.6 dmax I love that motor and I am a die hard Ford fan. My buddy has a 06 3500 with the LBZ 6.6 and it has 156,000 miles on with no problems so far. Pulls like an absolute champ too!

2001-2004.5 LB7 duramax's had injector issues, expensive job at a dealer (more than $5000) but can be done on your own if you're mechanically inclined for $1500

Other than that, great truck. The allison trans is bulletproof for stock HP and torque numbers.

As said about the fords, the 7.3 PSD was a great engine. Avoid the 6.0 PSD like the plague.

2000-2004 crew cab diesels in the Denver area are in the $8k-$15K range, based on condition and mileage. I just traded in my 2001 GMC 2500HD and the dealer wants $9900 for it. It's got a LOT of miles left in it and it's only at 185000 now.

Buyer beware, a lot of the 3/4 ton and 1 ton diesels have been beaten down pretty hard. Look for the evidence of regular towing or hard wear. I personally avoid trucks that have had heavy ECU tunes in them from Edge, Banks, etc.

Thanks fellas, i will pass along the info to avoid the 6.0's like the plague, and if he goes Chevy, to get the newest he can afford.

He is an impatient guy with many mechanical things and an injector overhaul is likely not in the cards.

Dirtbeater, thx for the input, i agree the Cummins is a great engine, but a Dodge is likely not up for consideration unless its a screaming deal ---- but if i were comparing a nice condition Dodge to a Ford that was a little beat, i'd pick a Dodge in that contest ------

As far as the various power programmer and tuner type things, i guess it is a "buyer beware" situation unless someone proudly leaves their tuner in the vehicle --- (4" stacks through the bedfloor might be a dead giveaway of one to avoid though --- laughs)

Buyer beware, a lot of the 3/4 ton and 1 ton diesels have been beaten down pretty hard. Look for the evidence of regular towing or hard wear. I personally avoid trucks that have had heavy ECU tunes in them from Edge, Banks, etc.

That's exactly why I went with a gasser.

Comparatively, half the miles, better condition, and half the price of identical age trucks with diesel engines.

And I can buy a lot of gasoline for the amount of cash I saved at purchase time.

Being the owner of an 06 GMC Duramax, all I can say is YES.

I run a light tune (60-80hp) and have exhaust on it. Pulls like a prom queen 😏

22mpg hwy, 18 city. (show me any non 1/2 ton gas full size getting that)

Mine has a 100k powertrain and older have a 200k on the FI system (per the courts)

Up to 05 had the 5spd ally, 06 up has the 6spd.

They aren't cheap but easy to see if abused.

a3364718-130-Duramax%20and%20Trailer.jpg?d=1279425167

2007 four door silverado with 6.0L gasser, 6 spd trans. getting average 19mpg with out a trailer and 17mpg towing our tow hauler with A/C on and for $18k OTD you cant beat the deal. Keep an eye out for the adds as I see them all the time as dealer ships are still hurting. Its a proven power plant that works and last.

Good luck on the 6.0 as I had one first. The 5.3 is the motor to get if you can.

I had the 6ltr (06 ccsb) first and the average I got was 11-13 in the city and I have a light foot! I goosed 16mpg on the freeway once and never tried towing with it.

If I go gas it will be the 5.3, in fact I have one for an engine swap I like them so much.

JMHO

Good luck on the 6.0 as I had one first. The 5.3 is the motor to get if you can.

I had the 6ltr (06 ccsb) first and the average I got was 11-13 in the city and I have a light foot! I goosed 16mpg on the freeway once and never tried towing with it.

If I go gas it will be the 5.3, in fact I have one for an engine swap I like them so much.

JMHO

Comparing a half ton and 3/4 ton fuel mileage is a bit silly, considering the gearing and weight differences of the truck.

My '06 2500HD 4x4 crew cab long bed with the 6.0 averages mid 14s, and I think thats pretty darn good for a 6000lb working truck.

I'm in the construction business and owned lots of trucks. I know alot of diesel techs that have done work on 6.0s as well. I love my 05 F250 PSD. I had some problems, but nothing compared to my buddies other brands. I will never buy another truck unless its for light duty. Now my Tech buddies say the 6.0 has its issues but nothing out of the ordinary and that its a great motor once the kinks are ironed out.