my 2000 xr100 is having problems

my 1999 xr 100 was burning oil like crazy and one day it wouldnt idle at all, i messed around with the carb and then finally took the spark plug out and it had carbon all over it, i put a new plug in and it ran great, it may be a carb problem but check the plug first

thanks, i cleaned out the carb, and now it runs and idles fine, the idle problem was a crack in the manifold between the carb and the engine, so i fixed that. now, it runs fine, but it still smokes a lot when i give it gas, burns oil, and the plug is always oily. if it's just the rings that need replacement, i have no problem doing them, but if it needs a new oversize piston, a rebore, and rings, i'll probably just get one of the big bore kits for it. also, the engine is making a weird, machine type noise, and i tried tightening the cam chain, but when i try the adjuster on the cylinder head, it gets hard to turn, then the engine slows down, is there another way to adjust it, or do i need a new cam chain? the lower adjuster didn't do anything.

Make sure it isn't over filled with oil.

If it has a relatively new top end, I wouldn't expect that you should need a piston or rings.

XR100's can be a little noisy. You can adjust the valves and cam chain. If the piston is really worn, it can get noisy. I had one get noisy and found that the both ends of the connecting rod were shot. You don't want that problem.

- Brad

how would i look at the cam chain tunnel? if i take off the head cover, will i need to replace any gaskets? and also, the guy i bought it from said the top end was all new, except for the piston and rings. if it's smoking bad, do you think it'll need to be bored over?

Could just be the exhaust valve seal needs replaced, but you can get a BBR kit for pretty cheap and do everything at once. You can't tell without looking at it whether or not you need piston/rings, rings, bore, hone, or whatever. So it's best just to spend a half a day on it taking it apart and try to assess the situation.