07 drz400sm drop the triple tree 1/4inch now turns better

I just picked up a beat 06 SM that handles terrible, besides the worn front tire, I noticed that the former owner had dropped the clamps a full 5/16" I recall he said it sat a little high, maybe the reasoning? My new tire showed up this afternoon, so tomorrow the second item on the list will be to raise it back up to see if will follow a straight line.

I just picked up a beat 06 SM that handles terrible, besides the worn front tire, I noticed that the former owner had dropped the clamps a full 5/16" I recall he said it sat a little high, maybe the reasoning? My new tire showed up this afternoon, so tomorrow the second item on the list will be to raise it back up to see if will follow a straight line.

when you raise it up will take some weight off the front and make for lighter steering only reason i did it is i like to feel the front tire were it is 😏

when you raise it up will take some weight off the front and make for lighter steering only reason i did it is i like to feel the front tire were it is 😏[/quote

This bike just seem very odd at slow speed turns, I will have a new tire on it this afternoon and I thought I would raise it back up to see if that would help. I am going from a 06 S that I sold some months back to this 06 SM, maybe I thought they would be more similar?

New tire, and a new bike! I was able to put another 10 minutes on the bike yesterday after I put the new tire on and at the same time I raised the triple clamps back to the top. It seemed like a totally different bike, mostly I would guess the tire. Now just waiting on a new gas cap then I can actually ride the bike.