KDX 220r Questions

I had a KDX200 way back in the early 90s and I loved it, and just recently had the opportunity to buy a low hour 2004 KDX 220R. Being the anal type that I am, I am going completely through the bike changing fluids, greasing linkages and cables, etc. A couple of quick questions; What is the primary difference(s) between the 200/220 and the 220R? I plan on keeping it stock, but are there any suggested mods to make it more dependable/ridable?

the bore is bigger, the stroke is the same

the 200 has a 36mm carb the 220 has a 33mm carb (iirc)

the 220 is ported differently for more low end (thats why the carb is 33mm)

the head is cut differently to match the bigger bore, different head gasket obviously

the ignition curve may be different, i dont remeber

everything else is identical, even the cylinders are the same casting, just machined differently

Little mods to make, take out airbox snorkel, bar brace, If you want a little more juice put on a 95+ 200 carb. There are more mods I could go on feorever really, but those are cheap and help out a lot in the long run. Get some different, higher bars! keep the handguards and sidestand, if it has a sidestand and you dont want it, I am willing to pay 50 dollars right now to take it.

I am in the same boat as you. I just picked up a 04 220. First thing I am doing is removing the airbox snorkel, and cutting a bigger hole in the lid. The bike is supposedly jetted rich from the factory, so I am hoping the increased air flow evens it out. If it doesn't then jetting is the next step.

Here is a good site: http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

I am in the same boat as you. I just picked up a 04 220. First thing I am doing is removing the airbox snorkel, and cutting a bigger hole in the lid. The bike is supposedly jetted rich from the factory, so I am hoping the increased air flow evens it out. If it doesn't then jetting is the next step.

Here is a good site: http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

it will need jetting, just do it now

Enlighten me on this, please.

220 stock pistons have a history of breaking/shattering/etc. Not all do, but it is cheap insurance to avoid more expensive repairs if you are one of the unlucky ones.

No same internals. You are better off with 96 or newer USD forks

Are you talking about 96 or newer kx usd forks? If the internals are the same the 93 usd forks would be better just for the reduced flex and unsprung weight? Do they run the same wheel set?

Paul

you are but the conversion is easier and IMO just better because it looks legit with the headlight back on.

there is no net gain in this conversion. there are lots of ways to address the headlight

Are you talking about 96 or newer kx usd forks? If the internals are the same the 93 usd forks would be better just for the reduced flex and unsprung weight? Do they run the same wheel set?

Paul

Yes, 96 or newer KX USD. the older forks have the same internals as the stock KDX forks