WHAT BIKE & want to make it light!!!

OK guys first no matter what make give some of your tricks to reduce the weight of a 2010/2011 450F gonna buy one just havent decided which one because except for the honda crf there up there in weight. thanks

heres a big trick, the 2010 yamaha yz450f may not be the lightest, but it feels the lightest. confused? By slanting the cylinder backwards and moving the mass of the bike (engine and transmission) further towards the center of the bike, as well as the gas tank (directly beneath the seat) the rotational forces of all the engine parts makes the bike fell light, predictable, nimble and further more handle like its on rails. it's also equiped with EFI so no jetting problems.

it is its 237 and iam looking at it but some of the others were 247 to 250 and yamaha was right i rode the 2010 dident feel hevy just felt like long compared to the crf. was just seeing some of the parts you can replace and tricks losen weight after the bike is bought right know its between crf first kx second. but good to hear from everyone on ideas

Most of the ways to make a modern 450 lighter involve considerable expense. Such as, full Ti or Ti/Carbon exhaust system. That alone will probably be the biggest weight savings you can do. It will shave several pounds. Other options include full Ti bolt kit, Ti axles, Ti footpegs, Ti shock spring, aftermarket triple clamps (some are lighter), lighter wheel sets, aluminum rear sprocket etc. Run the lightest tires. In the general discussion forum there is a sticky that lists tires and their weights. Run the lightest tubes, but you chance getting flats easier.

just getting ideas maybe some tricks fivewide iam 35 years old and 5ft6 165 iam well below average weight lol i hear ya i like the crf just alot extra goes in the suspension that year 09 10 get rid of the head shake and the revalve and change of springs and the dogbone lower linkage so figured shave weight off the kawi. i prefer honda's and kawis thanks though

thanks t2000 thats what i was looking for ofcourse not gonna do all that but good stuff to know and the yoshi rs4 tit carbon is going on it i had it on the 2010 crf i had stolen a week ago

why are you stuck on a 450f? 250 two strokes are light and have similar power. just an ide .

if your stuck on a 450f you could use carbon fiber parts. if you can find them that is, they make carbon fiber tanks, airboxes, frames, pipes, skidplates, fork guards, exc..

i have a 250 its the bike i race on but some will disagree but like playing on my 450 sometimes and i kill my 250 after i ride the 450 some but yea i have a 2009 kx250 thats my baby.

i have a career my bike are for fun i race several times during the year but iam lucky were i can afford to bikes i dont like haven 2 250fs so i keep a 450 play bike rac my 250 you know just have fun and i guess kinda like show cares i spend money when i sholdent to deck out

ride and shoot u wont like but iam a fourstroke guy i love em i know most choose one or other haha

Like said above, i did see in a magazine they make Carbon Fiber frames which save quite a bit of weight but i would think they are super pricey.

i was looking for some of the small tricks like what lightes tires, i may spend it on a rear tit axle leave front alone and yoshi rs-4 tit carbon pipe tit foot pegs and that should make it around 245 on the kx450 honday gets same if i choose it have you seen that pipe i had it looks good light and sounds great

if the guy at the start is right about the slant of the engin on the yamaha then it really will feal lighter than if it had a 'normal' engin this is the same therory as if i have a push bike wheel (or any wheel 4 that matter) ad try to walble it while its spining its hard this is from the anercha of the spning wheel this anercha alos applies to the pistion moving up and down but it only applies in one direction e.g when u lean the bike over its harder the faster the pistion is moving so when the pistion is slanted u in effect reduce the moment of anercha because it only applies in the one direction i really cant explane this very well but there is a very valid reasion behind him saying its lighter however thats not to say it achely dose feal lighter than other bikes u would have to ride em to find out the final result but dont rule out the yamaha it deffently has the potenal to feal lighter if hes right about wat he said