Knee braces

So heres the deal, back in January I had a run in with a guy on a 450 and busted up my knee pretty bad, it has some permanent damage and I think its about time to upgrade from the knee/ shin guards to legit knee braces. I want something that's fairly cheap but reliable, I've heard around the fox knee braces are good.

Any suggestions?[=

What specific damage are you protecting your knee for (e.g. PCL, ACL, or just- in general). You then know what you're looking for in a brace.

I tore my ACL and have a custom brace that I don't like. I also have a used OTS (off the shelf) CTI brace that I absolutely love. Got it on EBay for $30. The secret is that any brace you buy used needs to be an off the shelf, not a custom (which would maybe put pressures on your leg in the wrong spot).

Works for some, not for others, depends on your leg.

Double edge sword w/ knee braces. I wear asteriks. I torn my acl w/ the original evs braces. The way the events happened, my acl would have torn w/ asterisks or any other brace. Ask yourself, are you putting your knee in a position where your dabbing or getting caught. If not, I would ask yourself if you really need them. The reason, knee braces can cause femur brakes. I think knee damage is more common in moto than femur brakes. You can recover from acl surgery, but femur brakes can retire you.

Double edge sword w/ knee braces. I wear asteriks. I torn my acl w/ the original evs braces. The way the events happened, my acl would have torn w/ asterisks or any other brace. Ask yourself, are you putting your knee in a position where your dabbing or getting caught. If not, I would ask yourself if you really need them. The reason, knee braces can cause femur brakes. I think knee damage is more common in moto than femur brakes. You can recover from acl surgery, but femur brakes can retire you.

Femur breaks SUCK 😏

What size is your leg. I have a pair of EVS RS-7s I am willing to get rid of. They are adult small. I wore them twice and didn't care for them. I am short and they go too far down my boot. If I push them up they sit too high on my thigh. They are nice braces, just not my size. I am going back to youth sizes.

A few things from my experience

1. Have a chat with someone qualified in the Sports Med field about proper protection for the concerns you have given a previous injury. Ensure you discuss the specifics of your sport. MX differs from other sports in the stress placed on the knee plus the potential for blunt trauma.

2. Armed with that knowledge get a quality fitting for those braces that meet your requirements. The above Sports Med person should be able to make a recommendation as to where to go. Bring your boots and socks for this. If you don't already wear above the knee socks, get a pair.

3. Spend some time in the various braces that meet your needs and test them for comfort. If they hurt you won't wear them.

4. That usually narrows your options down considerably and ensures you get what you're looking for.

5. As you've already incurred an injury you may be able to get a prescription for braces and have a medical program help offset the cost.

For what it is worth my wife wears Asterisk braces and is happy with them after the above process. I'm still in my custom CTI's so I'm no help there.

Cheers,

Dave

at the start of this year i had a small get off that just happened to twist my leg the wrong way causing me to damage the cartilage in my left knee, so i decided it would be a good idea to buy some braces, after a bit of searching i ended up getting a pair of thor POD mx braces at $560 AUS each (so $1100 aus in total, but they're sainificantly cheaper in the U.S), i don't really like wearing them, i find particulary on my right knee (kick start leg lol) they dig into the inside of my knee, and being a guy with hairy legs they pull my leg hair lol.

but none the less they're otherwise quite comfortable, and i do feel "safer" wearing them, from how i look at it, in terms of knee braces causing femur breaks, it can take a very small amount of force in the wrong spot to cause knee damage, but it takes a rather large amount of force to break a femur, even if you put mroe force on it with knee braces.

Check your insurance for medical appliance coverage. You might not have to get 'cheap' braces but one's that are designed to meet your specific need. I talked to my doc, he wrote a note that said he recommended them, bought braces, submit to insurance, reimbursement check arrived a couple weeks later.

• 2 weeks later...

I've worn the pods, the asteriks and the cti's. the asterik's are great for off the shelf, good comfort, stable protection , however if you can afford the Cti's get them....I used them at ISDE 6 days and they were amazing..... my .02 cents.....