yz125 or yz250 as a practice bike?

i race cross country on a yz250f and im looking for a two stroke to help me to get faster on my 250f....i would probly get a 05 or newer yz250 or 125, maybe an 02 for the green sticker. which one would help me more?

Once you get on that yz250, you wont want to get off and go back to the little old yzf for cross country racing....๐Ÿ˜

I would say get the 125. To go fast on a 125 you will learn to keep your' speed up. Once you learn that you will be even faster on the 250f. (If you go back)

I agree. I recently rode my buddies kx250 and it was a beast. I'd say stick with the 125, its lighter, and has plenty of grunt. Don't forget a 125cc 2t was replaced by the 250 4t. The 250 2t was replaced by the 450 4t. Thats a lot of bike to be training on. At the same time, I completely understand why people would say 250 2t because it does act more like a 4 stroke, lots of grunt... its also similar weighs. So its a tough call.

i am completely new to the sport... okay its my 3rd season. so i am no expert.

i am however a lifelong anal obsesive compulsive person who spends way, way to much time researching whatever is in my head that week. all my endless research lead me to purchase a 06 yz 125. most explained to me ( once again a dirtbike nobody ) is a 125 will force you to become a better rider but also way better with the controls which lead to going faster on anything with 2 wheels.

and please correct me if i'm talking crap... never riden a yz250. good luck with choosing..

i am completely new to the sport... okay its my 3rd season. so i am no expert.

i am however a lifelong anal obsesive compulsive person who spends way, way to much time researching whatever is in my head that week. all my endless research lead me to purchase a 06 yz 125. most explained to me ( once again a dirtbike nobody ) is a 125 will force you to become a better rider but also way better with the controls which lead to going faster on anything with 2 wheels.

and please correct me if i'm talking crap... never riden a yz250. good luck with choosing..

I ride faster than most 125's off road because My bike is easier to ride, so i can beat them and still be a "worse rider"

so correct me if im wrong. the yz250 has more power so when i get back on my 250f i would be able to push it more because im used to the power of the 250t? and when i ride the 125 i would have to be smooth to keep my speed up so when i get on the 250f i will be smoother and therefore faster?

so correct me if im wrong. the yz250 has more power so when i get back on my 250f i would be able to push it more because im used to the power of the 250t? and when i ride the 125 i would have to be smooth to keep my speed up so when i get on the 250f i will be smoother and therefore faster?

Yea, the 2 stroke 250 machines have 450 four stroke power.

I rode a KX250 recently, it was one hell of a machine, gobs of torq and endless power. You can lob it around just like a 450 4t.

Well just my opinion, if you can go fast on a 125t, you can go fast on anything. The extra power of the 250t can make you ride a little lazy because you have the extra power "just in case". Maybe post in the off road riding forum and get their opinion.( And I'm very lazy 490t & 450f)

Well just my opinion, if you can go fast on a 125t, you can go fast on anything. The extra power of the 250t can make you ride a little lazy because you have the extra power "just in case". Maybe post in the off road riding forum and get their opinion.( And I'm very lazy 490t & 450f)

seems like many experienced riders have the same opinion... some dude a while back posted a challenge on a different site, something about challenging all 450 riders to spend a season on a 125 2t and then go back to there 450 and be honest if they find themselves better overall riders.

i'm a newbie so my 125 has all the power i want...

seems like many experienced riders have the same opinion... some dude a while back posted a challenge on a different site, something about challenging all 450 riders to spend a season on a 125 2t and then go back to there 450 and be honest if they find themselves better overall riders.

Put a dedicated 4t rider on any 2t for a year and I'd be willing to bet he'd come back a better rider the next year.

Edited by FIVEWIDE

Put a average dedicated 4t rider on any 2t for a year and I'd be willing to bet he'd come back a better rider the next year.

I agree with what people say about the 125's, you have to make use of the clutch and shifting more.

But i think you would still be better off with a 250.

Here's an idea, get the 250 and ride it the same way you would ride the 125.๐Ÿ˜

I would not recomend a 250 2T as a practice bike when you race a 250F, seems backwards.

Here's my opinion as a open expert at XC events.

The 250 smoker will have gobs more power everywhere and allow you to rely on the motor for speed rather then learning to carry your momentum, thus creating a bad habit. Now what you want. Get on your 250F come race day and it will feel like a turd compaired to a 250 smoker. The whole point of having a practice bike is to improve and try to break bad habits, work on line selection, corner speed, etc.. A 125 would be a much better choice for you because it will force you to find faster, smoother, better lines and help you improve corner speed and carrying your momentum through obstacles because the motor will not do it for you. You have to work for it on a 125, it will build endurance and help you ride smart. Plus come race day, your 250F will feel fast and fluid. Riding a 125 is a stepping stone that all racers should do early in there career IMO.

But now if you want a practice bike just to keep the hours off your race bike, something to just go play around on and not actually practice then yeah, a 250 2T is great for that.

This is just my opinion though. I've owned 250 2T, 250F, 125, and 200's all in the last three years. I'm currently using a 125SX for a practice bike and 200XCW for a race bike, come race day that 200 feels like cheating with all it's power and I really think this is a good set up doing it like this. The only thing that might be better is two idenical bikes, set up the same, one for practice one for racing, that's going to be my next move.

Hope this helps and again, just my thoughts on the subject. ๐Ÿ˜

I would not recomend a 250 2T as a practice bike when you race a 250F, seems backwards.

Here's my opinion as a open expert at XC events.

The 250 smoker will have gobs more power everywhere and allow you to rely on the motor for speed rather then learning to carry your momentum, thus creating a bad habit. Now what you want. Get on your 250F come race day and it will feel like a turd compaired to a 250 smoker. The whole point of having a practice bike is to improve and try to break bad habits, work on line selection, corner speed, etc.. A 125 would be a much better choice for you because it will force you to find faster, smoother, better lines and help you improve corner speed and carrying your momentum through obstacles because the motor will not do it for you. You have to work for it on a 125, it will build endurance and help you ride smart. Plus come race day, your 250F will feel fast and fluid. Riding a 125 is a stepping stone that all racers should do early in there career IMO.

But now if you want a practice bike just to keep the hours off your race bike, something to just go play around on and not actually practice then yeah, a 250 2T is great for that.

This is just my opinion though. I've owned 250 2T, 250F, 125, and 200's all in the last three years. I'm currently using a 125SX for a practice bike and 200XCW for a race bike, come race day that 200 feels like cheating with all it's power and I really think this is a good set up doing it like this. The only thing that might be better is two idenical bikes, set up the same, one for practice one for racing, that's going to be my next move.

Hope this helps and again, just my thoughts on the subject. ๐Ÿ˜

Good points there.