Suzuki DR 650 $250 Custom seat from stock

I was at the bike shop the other day and heard someone say he had a friend in an upholstery shop nearby. He had used them before and was very happy with the work as well as the price.

I looked into custom seats for my 2007 DR 650 and even contacted Renazco. They sent me a nice letter back saying to contact them again in 6 months, so that was out.

I spread the word and eventually found someone who worked at one and said he could do anything I wanted. Giving him my stock seat as I had the Suzuki gel one on, we discussed making it wider towards the back as well as more even. I just got it back last week and its amazing! For $250 its as good as anything I could have imagined.

Its wider and much thicker and has a butt buffer pad inside. I had a choice and decided to have it covered with basket-weave black vinyl, as I saw in some others.

I think this is a great alternative to anyone looking for a custom seat, and suggest looking in your area for people that do upholstery. Some places do motorcycle seats as well as custom cars and boats.

Its like a completely different bike now. See here:

New-Seat2.jpg

Sittin-Pretty.jpg

Edited by TeresaBowers
add picture

That seat looks really good Teresa. I have been talking to one of my local upholsterers, and will take a copy of these pictures if thats ok, and show him the kind of thing I want.

He owns a cruiser style bike, and has done a few seats before, so should be reasonably good at it.

Thanks for the pictures.

Cheers,

Grant.

I looked into custom seats for my 2007 DR 650 and even contacted Renazco. They sent me a nice letter back saying to contact them again in 6 months, so that was out.

The most important thing is that your happy with your choice and it worked out well for you in the end.

However, the difference between an auto upholsterer and a good motorcycle seat builder are completely different.

A good seat builder will consider ergonomics as the primary goal in creating comfort, also hands on experience with that particular bike plays a large roll so that both the customer and seat builder can understand each other based on their experiences of the bike.

Renazco Racing caters to individualized custom seat building, rides the bikes seats are being built for, no assembly line production and also a small company which explains the long lead times.

When an order is placed at Renazco, your given the actual date your seat will be built. You would never be told to call them back in 6 months but rather when you should expect production.

Enjoy your DR 650 ?

Yep, and you don't send em your seat until a week or so before your build date. So your not seatless for very long. I set mine up for the middle of winter.

If you don't want to be seatless at all, pick up a used e-bay one and send them that. When you get it back sell the extra. There was talk (here or ADV) about a donor seat being passed around for that purpose.

Actually this person works in a shop specializing in custom motorcycle seats. They have been around for 30 years and use everything from leather to Kangaroo for covers. Most of their seats are for Harleys but I was told that BMW owners are also big customers.

I'd post the link to the shop but my friend did it on the side without the boss knowing. Happy Trails!

The-Road.jpg

Actually this person works in a shop specializing in custom motorcycle seats. They have been around for 30 years and use everything from leather to Kangaroo for covers. Most of their seats are for Harleys but I was told that BMW owners are also big customers.

I'd post the link to the shop but my friend did it on the side without the boss knowing. Happy Trails!

The-Road.jpg

Hey Theresa,

+1 on the seat...funny how people like to tell you what kind of experience you had with a company when they weren't even there, huh???

I LOVE this windshield!! Info???

It does a fairly good job, can be adjusted several different ways, and is easy to put on.

I spoke to one guy at Twisted about the windscreen with the adjustable spoiler, (The Vario Touring screen) and he said it would fit, another told me it wouldn't.

If it did I think that would be a big improvement but for now this one works well and looks cool.

Rabbit-at-Rest-thumpertalk.jpg

Edited by TeresaBowers

It does a fairly good job, can be adjusted several different ways, and is easy to put on.

I spoke to one guy at Twisted about the windscreen with the adjustable spoiler, (The Vario Touring screen) and he said it would fit, another told me it wouldn't.

If it did I think that would be a big improvement but for now this one makes a big difference.

Thanks for the info Theresa, I thought it might have been the MRA, but I wasn't sure,...now about those mirrors?? ?

If it did I think that would be a big improvement but for now this one works well and looks cool.

WHat is the info on locating one of those windshields?