I was replacing clutch cable until... pics inside

Well I decided to replace the clutch cable on the wifes '01 yz125 since she broke the clutch lever and I already had the cable. All was going well until this.

basementfloorandEbay8-9-09214.jpg[/img

basementfloorandEbay8-9-09215.jpg

basementfloorandEbay8-9-09216.jpg

Any ideas besides a new case. Can it be welded, not even sure what kind of aluminum it is. I feel so stupid because I even said to myself before it happened "be careful it would suck if that broke",😏

Any ideas or help would be great. Thanks

Pull the cover, take it a welder... best one that has worked on motorcycle cases before.. Have to say though,, at that point your in to it for a gasket, oil, time, and the welders shop fee.. and you end up with a repaired cover.... Put that total against the cost of a new cover, gasket and oil,,, see which one seems like a better deal.

4JY-15431-13-00

Mfg. Part Number: 4JY-15431-12-00

This item has been superceded to: 4JY-15431-13-00

SKU: 672413

MSRP: $111.97

Your Price: $83.01

Mfg. Part Number: 4JY-15462-00-00

SKU: 672419

MSRP: $9.55

Your Price: $7.41

I can see field repairs or fixes that I might do if I was trying to finish a ride or weekend.. but not as a final repair.

For going inexpensive. Welding will be best bet, but you could try the quick steel methods and since theres still a bottom edge that will take the tension of pulling the lever, Also try safety wireing it to the 2 nearest bolts (With the quick steel or whatever you decide to use). that should keep it pulled down to the bottom half better.

Msr has some metal adhesion stuff.

I'd just make my own bracket that bolts to the cover using hte factory case bolts!

Just like most other bikes has, should only take you a few minutes of bending a piece of steel, drill a couple holes, and bolt it up 😏

Since there isn't a great place to grab more than one case bolt, I think I would try to epoxy it first. If that doesn't work, you can always fall back to making a bracket. Aluminum or steel filled epoxy works amazingly well on a clean crankcase.

- Brad

You guys think it would be a good enough fix to trust it out in the woods just by using the quick steel methods?

Yes, very much so. I had a bike in for repairs that had the exact same problem (broken-off piece was long gone, though), and I fixed it by JB Weld-ing on one of those tubular steel cylinder locator dowels, in which I had cut a slot for cable changing. A new case just wasn't in this guy's budget. It worked very well.

Someone had already "fixed" it by drilling a hole underneath the cable in the case boss, then running a tie-wrap through the hole and around the cable end. 😏 It was real sloppy, but actually worked. Compared to this kind of crappy fix, Quick Steel looks pretty good (although obviously, welding and replacement are better). At least the hole came in handy to tie-wrap the dowel in place while it dried.

Ray

you can make a good looking job with some metal epoxy, thi is a 74' suzuki TM 250 that had at some point had the chain come off and mangle the cases, once it was painted you couldn't even tell we'd repaird it, the hole in the case was around an inch diameter.

restorationparttwo3-1.jpg?t=1279405219

Thanks guys, I bought some of the quick steel to try. I'll try to patch it up with that first and see how it turns out. I'm also watching a couple of used outer cases on ebay as well. Thanks for all of the replys, it's nice to have some imput in these kind of situations.

Take this opportunity to put a hydraulic clutch on it, I can never go back to cable clutch.

with a good cable, and a ez pull lever, cable clutch can still be effortless. Plus cable setup is cheaper.

The clutch pull on every bike I own is effortless, I run a combination of a EZ pull clutch lever, and I also extend the clutch arm that comes out of the motor.. Makes for 1 finger clutch all day long, super smooth, extra control since your clutch pull is slightly longer 😏