?? 125 or 250 size tire?

I had decided what tires I was getting and went to the shop only to get confused. I was going to get either the mich. M-12s front and rear with the 250 rear or the Dunlop 756's with a 250 rear. The main mechanic, whom I have ridden with and trust, said that I would be better off with a 125 tire on the rear. His rational--A 250 tire on a 125 rim causes the knobs to get rolled down the side of the tire some which may give better cornering traction but at the cost of some hookup traction resulting in more wheelspin. I countered with saying that by keeping the pressure a bit on the low side (ie 11-12 psi) the tire should flatten out some and give better hookup due to bigger footprint. He agreed, but said I would run the risk of pinch flats. That all makes sense. I guess you pick your trade-off. I settled with a 756 for the front and did not get a back yet. How many of you are running the wider tire and how many are running 125 tires on the rear? I need to replace my stock. It seems like most of you are running 250's. 🙂

Doesn't matter if you've got 50hp if you can't hook it up. The weight difference would be miniscule, and after a couple weeks you'll shave off enough rubber to match up anyway. The standard 250 size most run is a 110/90, where as stock is 100/90.

When I first tried Michelins they were S12s. I bought the 125 tire for the rear. Two rides later almost all of the knobs were chunked. Next I bought a S12 250 sized rear tire (I think it was the 140) and it still does not have any chunks on it. ...at the time I was 230 lbs in gear - so that may have had something to do with it too. The 250 gives you fatter deeper knobs - hooks up plenty too.

My vote: 250 sized.

I grabbed a 110/100 Dunlop 756 today but not yet placed. I think I am going with the bigger size for all the reasons mentioned. Although, a guy at the dealership said he had a 250 tire pop the bead out on his 250F riding motocross. Maybe he didn't have enough air in or something. Are we all still voting 250?