Guilt trip

After spending $1200 on engine work at the dealership, on a bike that I have about 10 minutes of riding time on, I decided to save a few bucks and order a new front tire from an advertiser here on the TT site. It showed up to late on friday to be mounted but I called around and found a shop open on Sat. great I drove the 35 miles (I live in BFE) got there just as they opened only to be subjected to a tirade by the mechanic about wanting a tire mounted that I didn't buy from them. A few Walmart comments later and the job was finished. When I called the day before they were just fine with me bringing it and I did pay to have it mounted, I wasn't looking for a freebe. I hope I don't have to hide in shame every time I buy something on Craigslist or ebay.

its not uncommon. by mounting a tire the shop didnt sell they now accept the liability of a tire they have no idea where it came from and made no money from the sale.

that doesnt mean its ok to subject you to a tirade. if they didnt want to do it they should just said no and left it at that.

ive refused to mount tires in my day shearly becuase to owner wanted to something that was a real bad idea.

My local shop installs tires for free if you buy the tire from them and bring in the wheel. This is a good deal and I try to buy gear from them whenever I can. They are in Ventura...Cal Coast Motorsports. That dealer you went to has a lot to learn about building a customer base. For a lot of us it's not about money as much as it is about trust and respect.

Many shops in my area are going to this. They say it is due to liability issues. I think it is half that and half fighting the on-line dealers. I understand there point. Many shops make more money off of parts than they do off of the bike itself. Some shops have closed their doors because of online shops undercutting them on parts. I make sure I only order parts online that I can install myself . I feel guilty about even asking a local shop to install a part I bought from a competitor. In fact, this is the very reason why I learned to mount my own tires. I know the dealer is more expensive but try to buy a tire or a part or two from a dealer from time to time. You never know when you might need them and you don't want them to close their doors. I am not preaching, just something for us all to think about.

I understand the frustration the shops must have, but keep in mind that most of the web sites selling parts are dealerships themselves cutting the throats of the other dealers. I wonder if the mechanic that gave me a ration of **** has ever bought anything online? The internet train left the station years ago with or without me.

i go to a harley dealership to get tires mounted.since they usually do not stock tires for our bikes they don't mind one bit.

they have nice machines as well so damage to the marchesini's has been nonexistent so far.

I just learned how to change tires at home and it is easy with the right spoons and tire lube (it's all about the lube my friend)
Thats what she said ­čśĆ

Seriousally though, trying to change a tire without lube is nearly impossible. Throw some windex or baby powder on there and you could do it with your eyes shut if you wanted. Just use three spoons or a bead buddy and its really not to hard.

I know the dealer is more expensive but try to buy a tire or a part or two from a dealer from time to time. You never know when you might need them and you don't want them to close their doors. I am not preaching, just something for us all to think about.

I'm going to agree with teacherman on this one: I buy stuff online, but when I can get the same thing from my local dealer, even if he is slightly more expensive, I tend to work with him. This accomplishes more than a couple of things: It keeps my money in my community, it fosters goodwill with the dealership, it keeps a valued resource in business, and and it saves me time! It's hard to quantify what that's all worth in cash money, but it's worth at least the 10 to 20 percent upcharge you're saving by buying online. My dealer is honest, accommodating, and because he knows the Internet is his competition, he gives me a break on service if I buy the parts from him. And as Eddie pointed out, he now owns a little bit of the liability if something goes wrong with the part, and he's there to make it right if it does. He also keeps me from doing stupid or unnecessary shit, too.

I'm not sayin' you need to get all your gear from the local shop--I bought my Gaerne GPX boots from the ThumperTalk store because they could get them for me, gave me a 10 percent coupon on my birthday, and shipped them within two days. Same thing with my Shoei Hornet helmet--I bought it online; but in both these cases, my local shop didn't carry dual-sport specific gear, and I was buying them from a motorcycle superstore that only had an online presence and a liberal return policy. I didn't want to speciality order the item through my shop because then, if I didn't like it, or it didn't work out, there'd be that uncomfortable "Well, gosh, this ain't what I expected" moment, and the hassle for the shop on return. Tires aren't that way. They're "consumables" that, even if you're not 100 percent happy about, you know you only need to live with for a couple thousand miles.

Here's what I'd do next time: I'd find the tire you're lookin' for online, print off the price + shipping, and take that to your dealer. He might match it; he might find you something better; he might (because he's a professional with a good bit of experience) work with you and provide some follow-up service you can't get from an online retailer. That's worth a few bucks, no?

It does'nt hurt to print it and show a dealer, but for tires it will be hard for them to match prices. I dont know about dual sport or street tires, but I know for dirtbike tires its impossible to match because online places like RMATV will buy tires buy the thousands so of course they get a good deal on them and can pass the savings down. They might be able to work in like giotto said a free tire change or some other help or discount

Edited by crzyatv
I cant spell

It's not so much that they buy in quantity and can "pass the savings down". The bigger issue is the low overhead required to run an internet business. Anybody can start an internet business and offer items lower than you can buy at a storefront. They just cut the margin that they would make. That margin is what is required to pay all of the overhead that comes with running a store. Personally, I value and appreciate the face to face service that I get when i buy from my local dealership. They know my name, what I ride, give my excellent advice, and take care of any problems or issues that I have with anything that I buy from them. That, my friends, is why only a very small percentage of my purchases are ever made on the internet.

Support your local businesses so they will be there in the future when you need them to be.

Sorry bout the hassle you received from that mechanic however..... Unfortunately, that mechanic probably doesn't appreciate the customers who are paying his salary. And he certainly didn't treat you the way that he should have. I bet that if the owner would have overheard his tirade, he would probably be in the unemployment line on Monday.

well my local suzuki dealer can't even do a first service and oil change correctly.they know very little about drz's in general,only sales.they price gouge 3x times more on oem parts even though i bought 2 drz's there and get a 10% discount.i'd rather keep my money and do my own work and fall back on tt for any help i need.like eddie said recently,most dealerships don't care how vitally important a good service dept. is.