Just replaced stator, been sitting for 2 months. Won't start.

Just swapped out my stator on the DRZ, plugged everything in and checked connections. I get a sputter and a backfire. That's it. I rode it the 1st week of May, stator died. Got it started maybe a month later doing some diagnostics. Prolly been sitting for a good month +. What should I been looking for? Fuel? Carb? Wires?

I await your wealth of knowledge!

Thanks!

Is the pickup coil the one that the spark plug wire connects to?

Removed and inspected carb. All jets are squeaky clean! New spark plug. Seems to be getting spark. Doesn't seem to be an "epic" spark but, sparks. Stator is from Ricky Stator. Maybe it's a faulty unit?

Was able to start the bike with this old stator with frayed/exposed wires (my bad)...Just wouldn't charge.

P1010892.jpg

P1010890.jpg

Ricky Stator Eddie. The black and white coil wire was severed...Replaced connection. Still no start. Tried my buddy's CDI. Nothing. Plug is sparking but, seems to spark every second, maybe. Normal? Kinda like a turn, turn, spark. Turn, turn, spark. Etc.

Update: Put the old, damaged stator (Moose) back in and BAM, she fired right up! Still only getting 12.3V at the battery when revved up. So, either the new stator is faulty or the connections are crap (didn't "click" as nice as the Moose). Took a week to get here. Refund and replacement are gonna take forever!