2006 KTM 250sx-f question

I am looking at buying a 2006 250sx-f and am wondering what a good price for it would be and what mods would be good to put on it. It was raced by a pro for a while... cant remember the name. Its basically stock other than a black swing arm and orange rims. Also what parts are interchangeable between the years i have heard that the front fender can be changed out between the 06 and 10's but not sure.

Thanks

ok thanks ill see if i can get them to do a comp test on it and see what it is at, they are only a KTM dealer so i expect that they will be able to find the problems if there are any. So i guess if i get a good price for it im going to take it, what would you think would be a good price for this bike?

The 06 250SXF is a great bike, no doubt.

I agree with Mike, above... it's all about how much time is on the bike and how it's been treated.

What mods?

If it was raced by a pro (assuming mx although the 250SXF makes a great aggressive trail bike as well), the suspension will likely need to be revalved for you, and possibly resprung. That's the first non-maintenance item I'd take care of.

how important would it be to do the suspension? Also i agree with you guys that the motor may be rough but it was raced at the pro level so that somewhat leads me to believe that it may be in better shape than if it would be if it were raced at lower levels, im not sure. I will see what the dealership says and when i talk to them ill ask how they think the engine is, their mechanic is really good so i trust his judgment. but say the motor needed work what do you think would need to be replaced? piston, valves, crank, re-plate cylinder or re-sleeve not sure what KTM uses for their cylinders? thanks for the input guys

the bike was raced in supermoto then sold to the mechanic as a payment he didn't use it and sold it a while ago and the last guy just trail rode it apparently so i'm not sure that the suspension is going to need anything. also what is a leakdown test, haven't heard of that before?

The cylinder is nikelsil platted, its not a huge deal but a good rebuild on one of these is in the $1,000 to $1,500 area. How fast he was has less to do with it than how good was he at air filter maintence. A compression test will give you some indication, looking for over 100PSI after 6 or 8 fast kicks (ground the plug wire, hold the kill button, throttle open)

the bike was raced in supermoto then sold to the mechanic as a payment he didn't use it and sold it a while ago and the last guy just trail rode it apparently so i'm not sure that the suspension is going to need anything. also what is a leakdown test, haven't heard of that before?

A leakdown is when you presurize the motor and see how much air goes by the rings and valves.

• 1 month later...